Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Many years ago, my aunt had a Maverick for a little while. They got it cheap and found out why....those cars were notorious for front end problems and that car had em bad. It was cute though, bright orange. Not fun driving it in Austin though!
They got rid of it, and she went back to driving the 67 C10 stepside they bought from my dad when he got his new 75 Sierra Classic pickup. Now that 67 C10 was FUN! Wish we'd been able to get it back when they got rid of it, but IIRC the cab was probably shot by then. Those trucks had chronic rust issues around the cowl and cab corners....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It might be taller than a 5 gallon bucket with the filter. That's awesome. Thanks for the pics!

Speaking of which does the filter get removed for races? I'd imagine that would be a restriction at WOT, or even worse at risk of being sucked into that massive turbo.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might be taller than a 5 gallon bucket with the filter. That's awesome. Thanks for the pics!

Speaking of which does the filter get removed for races? I'd imagine that would be a restriction at WOT, or even worse at risk of being sucked into that massive turbo.
I believe the compressor housing is to big around (across/diameter) to fit in the opening if the 5 gallon bucket.

The filter has a metal backing inside to keep it from collapsing and being sucked in. He races with it on, he's more worried about sucking debris off the road into it.....

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Shìt man! are these the kinds of builds your going up against? that's just crazy. talk about go big or go home eh!
Yes sir! Ryan Mitchell and Beater Bomb both have Big Block with twin 88's! Thats a forged 5.3l with a 110mm in the picture.... that's why I upgraded from twin 67s to twin 78s....

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes sir! Ryan Mitchell and Beater Bomb both have Big Block with twin 88's! Thats a forged 5.3l with a 110mm in the picture.... that's why I upgraded from twin 67s to twin 78s....
What's the advantage of a single that big over twins? Other than the cool factor...

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You won't have to worry about seeing any surge on the compressor or turbine when its that big!

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Shìt man! are these the kinds of builds your going up against? that's just crazy. talk about go big or go home eh!
There's a guy running around I believe in the 405 that has twin 88 on a 5.3 L and uses a 50 shot of NOS to spool them up.....his 60 is stupid sick and his big end seems to be endless!!!! Everybody seems to be getting faster and faster, so I'm just going to try to keep up!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did pull the roll cage out and I'm going to set the cab back on to finish the brakes and proceed with the roll cage installation......
Out of curiosity, are you mounting the cage to the body or the frame? If you haven't already, you'll want to check with your tech inspectors before you strike an arc. I haven't put a cage in a body-on-frame chassis, but I was under the impression it needed to at least tie to the frame. Then again, that may just be for fiberglass-body cars.

What's the advantage of a single that big over twins? Other than the cool factor...
Given a set amount of room for mounting, a single large turbo will flow more air than two smaller turbos. Twenty years ago everything was twin-turbo because twins spooled up without lag. With modern ball-bearing turbos the lag is not as much of a problem and massive single turbos are ideal.