Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah,toss that bumper and the ball problem goes away too.
Roll pan? I personally don't like 'em but many people do.
I've done them on several trucks, and I like 'em OK. Not planning on painting this truck so a part that needs to be painted is an issue. Also, the brand of pans I really liked (Sir Michaels) is no longer in production. Their fit wasn't 100% perfect but probably the best quality you could get.. the ones I've seen since aren't quite as good.

Oh, and I'd have to get a roll pan style hitch, too... and a flip-up license plate bracket.. It would clean up the look of the back of the truck, for sure, just more $$$ spent.

Sounds like you just need to do a short-bed swap. :jester:
Nahhhh... I've missed having a longbed truck. Ideally I would have an ECLB (or even a CCLB) but that won't fit in the garage, so I had to make a compromise.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I've done them on several trucks, and I like 'em OK. Not planning on painting this truck so a part that needs to be painted is an issue. Also, the brand of pans I really liked (Sir Michaels) is no longer in production. Their fit wasn't 100% perfect but probably the best quality you could get.. the ones I've seen since aren't quite as good.

Oh, and I'd have to get a roll pan style hitch, too... and a flip-up license plate bracket.. It would clean up the look of the back of the truck, for sure, just more $$$ spent.

Nahhhh... I've missed having a longbed truck. Ideally I would have an ECLB (or even a CCLB) but that won't fit in the garage, so I had to make a compromise.

Richard
Short beds are fun, but long beds get the work done.....

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your truck is the perfect candidate.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Your truck is the perfect candidate.
I've looked at the Poppy's product and thought about it a bit. It's a "maybe" on my list, but kind of far down the list. The paint quality on the truck is pretty bad and while I initially thought it was original, it's definitely a repaint (original color or very close), and there's some spots where it's pimpling off, and flat out missing here and there.

We all know there's bound to be mission creep and it's already set in long ago on this truck but I still do intend to keep it at beater-status, albeit a reliable beater. It still needs the transmission rebuilt ($$$) and A/C fixed ($$$ if I want to do it right.) So a low-buck method to keep the paint from getting much worse, just might be on the menu.

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Richard
Hell,,,that wouldn't fit in your yard. Yeah,I like long beds too! I can get those long choppers in 'em.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I've seen his garage and driveway; a CCLB like Rawhide would take all the driveway or have to be street parked(like we did when picking up parts). A CCLB dually is 17'-18', my crew cab is over 21'. As my brother says, it's a farm truck, best in small towns and wide open spaces. Big cities, not so much.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen his garage and driveway; a CCLB like Rawhide would take all the driveway or have to be street parked(like we did when picking up parts). A CCLB dually is 17'-18', my crew cab is over 21'. As my brother says, it's a farm truck, best in small towns and wide open spaces. Big cities, not so much.

Rawhide that is…

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Fo
You may recall I used to own a '98 CCLB dually. That was years ago and I did used to park it in the driveway at my house (different place across town.) That place was built in the 80's and actually just barely had room for me to put FOUR trucks in the driveway. For a little while it was the '98, the black '94 C2500LD, the white '92 I was rebuilding, and my '06 F450SD work truck.

With the Ranch Hand front bumper, and the wrecker unit sticking out under the rear, it was a looooooong truck. The body lift and the 19.5's made it look even more ridiculously large. That truck was a beast, and a huge POS, simultaneously. I almost miss it.

So back to the '93 and the original spirit of the topic, "Talk me into, or out of, it..."

Today I'm trying to make myself drop the truck off at the transmission shop to get the NV4500 rebuilt. I've been dreading this mostly due to what it's likely to cost. I've been putting it off.. but it's one of the biggest obstacles to regularly driving this truck. The bad synchro isn't gonna get any better and I don't want to cause any further damage to the trans, plus it's just not fun to drive this way, in traffic.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions any input on manual stuff? I've got this early model NV4500 ('93) with the typical 1-2 grind, it's also a little stiff shifting it otherwise but I kind of expect that from an NV4500. Planning on taking it in for rebuild soon..

My mental file tells me that for a while the OEM carbon fiber-impregnated synchros were no longer available but I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate? I thought recently I found someone selling them but I don't know if they're old stock or they're still being produced.

I could see one benefit of going to regular bronze synchros would be I'd imagine you no longer need the specific GM lubricant (re-labeled Castrol Syntorq LT) but the downside would probably be a harder shift "feel" ?

My builder has done NV4500's for me in the past but we didn't get into the particulars, I just trusted him with whatever he was going to do but if I can make some informed suggestions here it might take some of my worry away about dumping big bucks into this old beater.

Thanks,
Richard