Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Works great for de-rusting gun parts and removing bluing for re-bluing.
Yes, I’ve soaked metal parts for rust removal. It worked ok. I tried it on the dishwasher after reading how it also disinfects as well. I noticed some black in there, assumed it’s mold. :puke:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bleach is good for killing mold, but ammonia is better for keeping it gone. Bleach kills both mold and bacteria very well, but mold and bacteria compete for food. Ammonia is more effective for eliminating mold because it kills mold better than bacteria. The bacteria that survive make it harder for the mold to return. Mind you, this is my recollection of what my mother (botanist with a doctorate in ecology) told me eleven years ago.

When I deployed to the Mid-East we were in a very high humidity environment, and everything grew mold. The dorms were a trailer park, and the plastic walls of my room would grow mold. The only cleaner we could get was bleach so we had to wipe down our rooms weekly. Within a few days you'd see it growing back. I would have killed to get my hands on some ammonia.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Some of the remediation companies I work with use Fiberlock Shockwave disinfectant for mold removal and bio clean-ups. Can get it ready to use or concentrated without jumping through hoops via amazon.

Generally speaking, bleach is not recommended for mold remediation. There are also peroxide products that will kill mold and help with stain removal. Check for EPA registration numbers for products as some gimmick stuff is out there doing more killing wallets than mold.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the remediation companies I work with use Fiberlock Shockwave disinfectant for mold removal and bio clean-ups. Can get it ready to use or concentrated without jumping through hoops via amazon.

Generally speaking, bleach is not recommended for mold remediation. There are also peroxide products that will kill mold and help with stain removal. Check for EPA registration numbers for products as some gimmick stuff is out there doing more killing wallets than mold.
Looks like it definitely kills the bad stuff. But, I don’t see where it says it’s safe for a dishwasher.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

I don't recall how this thread got onto mold, but I do know that at a former job, a heavy degreaser was used for mold. It was a little different than most alkaline degreasers in that it also had pine oil in it. Not sure if that's what did the trick with the mold, or if it was the standard ingredients such as sodium hydroxide. There was air quality testing before and after, so it wasn't just a visual of the mold be "gone".

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't recall how this thread got onto mold, but I do know that at a former job, a heavy degreaser was used for mold. It was a little different than most alkaline degreasers in that it also had pine oil in it. Not sure if that's what did the trick with the mold, or if it was the standard ingredients such as sodium hydroxide. There was air quality testing before and after, so it wasn't just a visual of the mold be "gone".
I mentioned using vinegar after @someotherguy used it cleaning some wiper parts. Since then, the topic has grown like mold. I digress…

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I forget. I'll offer my apologies for the role I played in the detour, Someotherguy.