Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Finally had a moment to put it back up in the air and cut these bump stop pads off. Got me a tiny little bit more clearance before the axle is banging against the frame notch braces. I guess I should get some bump stops now.. some of those really low-profile urethane ones like Belltech *used to* include, instead of those ridiculous beehive things they sent this time.

Gotta tell you, this isn't a trivial task with the bed in the way and the axle mounted. You do it from underneath and get totally showered in hot sparks. Jack it up and support the frame, take off the tires and lower the axle on the jack. It gets you just enough room to squeeze past the drums, the hubs poking you in your junk, and get the angle grinder in there.
You must be registered for see images attach

Took it for a test run with a small load of spare junk to the storage unit. All of it removed from this truck. It should be going to the scrapyard, but I'm a dummy. Bumper, brackets, grille, overload leafs, stock coil springs and spindles, and misc. leaf spring hardware like the saddles, spacers, and the original bump stop brackets. Oh and the useless carrier bearing spacer from the Belltech kit. Doesn't work on the manual trans truck..

On the way home, took the truck up to about 60mph on a road with some dips that usually made the axle bang into the notch. No issues at all. Just another step closer to "actually driveable" :)

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally had a moment to put it back up in the air and cut these bump stop pads off. Got me a tiny little bit more clearance before the axle is banging against the frame notch braces. I guess I should get some bump stops now.. some of those really low-profile urethane ones like Belltech *used to* include, instead of those ridiculous beehive things they sent this time.

Gotta tell you, this isn't a trivial task with the bed in the way and the axle mounted. You do it from underneath and get totally showered in hot sparks. Jack it up and support the frame, take off the tires and lower the axle on the jack. It gets you just enough room to squeeze past the drums, the hubs poking you in your junk, and get the angle grinder in there.

Took it for a test run with a small load of spare junk to the storage unit. All of it removed from this truck. It should be going to the scrapyard, but I'm a dummy. Bumper, brackets, grille, overload leafs, stock coil springs and spindles, and misc. leaf spring hardware like the saddles, spacers, and the original bump stop brackets. Oh and the useless carrier bearing spacer from the Belltech kit. Doesn't work on the manual trans truck..

On the way home, took the truck up to about 60mph on a road with some dips that usually made the axle bang into the notch. No issues at all. Just another step closer to "actually driveable" :)

Richard
…and no leaking fluid? I know you rerouted, but wasn’t sure you tested it yet.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
…and no leaking fluid? I know you rerouted, but wasn’t sure you tested it yet.
Haven't run it on a long highway trip just yet. Had to deal with the cooling system issues first, which seem to be handled at this point, but I gotta tell you, that burst hose almost 45 minutes from home was a real pain to deal with. Had to get towed the last mile to work, but then tow my truck home after a full night shift.

So now the trick is, gotta take it on a good highway test run, but not while going anywhere important - so that if I have an issue, it doesn't make me late for something important. Like work!

Just ordered some Energy Suspension # 9.9132G "ultra low profile" poly bump stops, should be here tomorrow, $16 with tax.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So the really big work got done today.. unboxed my window beltline weatherstrip and they're damaged in shipping, bent and kinked :( I've emailed the seller and hope they'll help me out even though I've had them sitting here for a few months.

Installed the way shorter Energy Suspension bump stops since I'd pulled those ridiculous too-tall beehive pieces out that Belltech sent. No pics.. they're just little bitty bumpstops. :)

Did the razor blade/windex treatment to all the windows to get rid of about 99% of the old tint adhesive the previous owner left for me. I'll make a cleanup pass on it once I get the new weatherstrip pieces in as I'll pull the door panels for installation, at which time it'll go to the tint shop as well. Thinking 35% doors and rear just to cut down on the sun but still be able to see out of it. I also scraped the outside of the rear window to get as much of the weld spatter as I could out of it, helped a little, there was a lot of it though.

Pulled the wiper cowl again and popped out the squirter nozzles as they still aren't behaving. Giving them a bath in some white vinegar.. along with the shower nozzle too, as it's been acting up. The water here is full of crud.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny, I gave the dishwasher the white vinegar treatment tonight. Supposedly, it disinfects it.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@someotherguy are you in need of beauty rings? Are the non dually rings the same as dually rings? I’ve got a complete set off my C2500 that I don’t need anymore. I can get photos for you this weekend and point out the minor flaws they have.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Funny, I gave the dishwasher the white vinegar treatment tonight. Supposedly, it disinfects it.
It's a mild acetic acid/water solution, pretty good for cleaning a lot of stuff. I dunk the shower head in it for a while every year or so once it starts spraying crazy due to mineral build-up. Used what was left in the bowl to scrub around the faucet/sink area with an old toothbrush.

@someotherguy are you in need of beauty rings? Are the non dually rings the same as dually rings? I’ve got a complete set off my C2500 that I don’t need anymore. I can get photos for you this weekend and point out the minor flaws they have.
Yep, the trim rings on a dually tend to be the same as a regular wheel. I don't think they make one specifically for a dually, which wouldn't need the valve stem recession as the stem is in a different spot on a dually wheel. Two of mine are "OK" and two are a little beat-up. To be honest I think I might just remove them for a cleaner look, like I did with the center caps (which were in pretty poor shape anyway.)

Richard