Stock ride height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put my entire front end suspension back together. I put the torsion bolts as close to 34mm as i could according to this service manual instruction.
You must be registered for see images attach

When everything was on the ground and tightened up, the front is sitting about 1.5 inches higher than the rear, i measured from the bottom of the fender to a same point on the tires. I marked the torsion bolts when i took them off and they appeared to be threaded in maybe a 1/4-3/8 of an inch more then how i reinstalled them. If i tighten the torsion bolts further, will the bars push the control arms further down increasing the front end? It feels like the torsion bolts are just barely threaded into the blocks as it sits now. Its a 1998 tahoe, no body lift or suspension lift on it. Im sure im missing info that would help diagnose why it appears to sit up high

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, drive it around. Funny story: I bought my truck new, and when it showed up at the dealer, it leaned to the left. I asked about it, and they said it was because of the 34 gallons of fuel on that side. Years go by. When it was time to restore old Big red, one of the first projects was the front end. This was when I discovered that the left side adjustment bolt wasn't even making contact with the key... it was just 3 or four threads into the adjustment nut. How it stayed in there for almost 30 years is amazing. Measured the other side, and duplicated it on the left side. Now my truck is level, despite the 34 gallons of fuel. I cut em some slack, as this was the first full year the new GMT400's where out. They had no clue, and the factory workers missed it as well.

Laredo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the future, take your ride height measurement from the bottom of the wheel to the wheel opening. It's more accurate than using a reference point on the sidewall or measuring from the ground.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put my entire front end suspension back together...

...When everything was on the ground and tightened up, the front is sitting about 1.5 inches higher than the rear
Did you actually put the vehicle weight on the suspension BEFORE tightening the control arm bolts?

i measured from the bottom of the fender
In the future, take your ride height measurement from the bottom of the wheel to the wheel opening. It's more accurate than using a reference point on the sidewall or measuring from the ground.
DO NOT measure from any point on the body to the ground, or to some point on the tire/wheel.

The body is unreliable as a measurement point. Body lift kits, collapsed body bushings, sagging fenders, tire size/inflation, all make the body of no use for determining ride height.

USE THE METHOD SPECIFIED IN THE SERVICE MANUAL for "Z" height which takes the body out of the equation.

Laredo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, @Schurkey. I'm familiar with the term "Z height" but haven't read that section of the service manual in its entirety. I'm curious to learn how the body is eliminated as a reference point. :)

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you actually put the vehicle weight on the suspension BEFORE tightening the control arm bolts?

DO NOT measure from any point on the body to the ground, or to some point on the tire/wheel.

The body is unreliable as a measurement point. Body lift kits, collapsed body bushings, sagging fenders, tire size/inflation, all make the body of no use for determining ride height.

USE THE METHOD SPECIFIED IN THE SERVICE MANUAL for "Z" height which takes the body out of the equation.
Yes, bolts were tightened after full weight was on suspension

Il go back and read the z height section

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach