Stock 4l80e power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may be wrong about what the "80" means in terms of gvwr, it may be 18k, but I'm 100% confident that it's gvwr and not torque capacity, and that the other digits are as I described.
Wonder if @MrPink can help?
Damn you! You're right again - just not quite in alignment....

From here >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4T80_transmission
This:
''The "MH1" 4T80-E is able to handle vehicles up to 8000 lb (3628.74 kg) GVWR.''

Your designation is as per the transverse installation of the '80'.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some say the 4l80e cant handle much power. I have another 2500 Suburban,6.0 Vortec, stroked to 6.6, then supercharged. Anyone running a stock 4l80e \ np246 in high HP applications?

I know what books say, I am wanting real world knowledge.
Not sure who has been telling you this.
The 4l80 is very strong. When rebuilt with lube modifications and the pressures are dialed in, it can hold more power than your setup can make
Ive got stock 4l80s in turbo trucks making 840-875rwhp. Built units are holding 1300hp no problem.

The original calibrator for the 4l80 behind the duramax did test for holding max torque (i think it was 550tq?) for 100,000 miles in 4th gear on a loaded dyno.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I may be wrong about what the "80" means in terms of gvwr, it may be 18k, but I'm 100% confident that it's gvwr and not torque capacity, and that the other digits are as I described.
Wonder if @MrPink can help?
Unfortunately no I am not well versed in transmissions. So I am no help.

weaponoffreedom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it a GM RV? Or was it sold as a cab and chassis? Regardless, as I said earlier, I'm not 100% sure of what the actual 8 means, but that digit is related to gvwr not torque. Thus a 4L60 is lighter duty than an 80 etc.
Yes P30 workhorse chassis, just like the UPS trucks and Fedex trucks and such.

Agreed on 80 vs 60.

weaponoffreedom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure who has been telling you this.
The 4l80 is very strong. When rebuilt with lube modifications and the pressures are dialed in, it can hold more power than your setup can make
Ive got stock 4l80s in turbo trucks making 840-875rwhp. Built units are holding 1300hp no problem.

The original calibrator for the 4l80 behind the duramax did test for holding max torque (i think it was 550tq?) for 100,000 miles in 4th gear on a loaded dyno.
About what i figured. A local tranny shop did not wnat to touch my Suburban for "liability" reasons and would not warranty work due to supercharger and being stroked........another shop was like "sure, no problem"

I mean the th400 and 4l80e are in ridiculous rock crawling rigs. I am sure that there is a bunch that could be done for make them beefier, but not for my appllication. I do plan to tow with the burb, but not drag race, with the trailer.

All in all, what I have come up with, from GM, the 4l80e can handle 440 lbs, funny enough the 8.1 put exactly that much out......coincidence huh

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
About what i figured. A local tranny shop did not wnat to touch my Suburban for "liability" reasons and would not warranty work due to supercharger and being stroked........another shop was like "sure, no problem"

I mean the th400 and 4l80e are in ridiculous rock crawling rigs. I am sure that there is a bunch that could be done for make them beefier, but not for my appllication. I do plan to tow with the burb, but not drag race, with the trailer.

All in all, what I have come up with, from GM, the 4l80e can handle 440 lbs, funny enough the 8.1 put exactly that much out......coincidence huh

85E was rated to either 460 or 470 tq.