Best way to add power to my 98 gmc sierra k1500 with 4.3 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I 100% agree with you the only problem is if I add that much horsepower I'd most likely have to do a built Trans and a few other minor things just for it to handle that much power.
If you're wanting a 500hp+ drag truck, you're going to need a beefed up tranny anyway. I know what your saying, something different would be cool, but I guess it depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I 100% agree with you the only problem is if I add that much horsepower I'd most likely have to do a built Trans and a few other minor things just for it to handle that much power.
This is why I said supporting mods. Even a stock V6 can kill a 4L60E or NV3500. You're going to need a fuel system, tranny, suspension at a minimum either way.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Future drag truck? Big block!
Sure.

Yup. Easier than a 4L80E--no controller needed.

12 bolt or 9" Ford!
Naw. A 9.5" semi-float is stronger than both of them. The downside is the rather poor selection of gear ratios. Of course, the 9" Ford is a poor-man's quick-change, and has every gear ratio imaginable.

OTOH, bolts right in if you get the right core, and has decent brakes included.