Best way to add power to my 98 gmc sierra k1500 with 4.3 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slatter66

Reaction score
So I have a 98 gmc sierra k1500 with a 4.3 vortec. I plan on making it a pretty fun truck but im a little up in the air about what I want to do to it mechanically. I was thinking of keeping the v6 and doing a twin turbo setup or maybe a supercharger. The other Idea was I could always do the ls swap but I personally think it would be cool the keep the v6. If anyone has any other ideas of what I could do to add a decent amount of power let me know, I'd be happy if I can get it to around 400-500 hp

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If swapping it is on your mind, do it. IMO by the time you have that V6 making 500hp, you'll have enough money/time invested in it, you could've swapped in 2 junkyard 6.0/4L80 combos. I say 2 incase the first 1 was bad lol, and still have money leftover for some power adders.

Wait for it

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If swapping it is on your mind, do it. IMO by the time you have that V6 making 500hp, you'll have enough money/time invested in it, you could've swapped in 2 junkyard 6.0/4L80 combos. I say 2 incase the first 1 was bad lol, and still have money leftover for some power adders.

Wait for it
agree. Not an ls guy but sometimes displacement is the better answer. Tow pig? 383 would be the answer. lol not hard to get close to 500 ft lbs N/A instead of 500hp at 5-7k rpm boosted, lol. Intentions are not known, bargain basement ebay kits might not be the best option.

Last edited:

slatter66

Reaction score
agree. Not an ls guy but sometimes displacement is the better answer. Tow pig? 383 would be the answer. lol not hard to get close to 500 ft lbs N/A instead of 500hp at 5-7k rpm boosted, lol. Intentions are not known, bargain basement ebay kits might not be the best option.
It wouldn't really be for tow, the long term goal would be to make it a drag truck. Which is why I was thinking rebuilding the v6 and doing a turbo setup, I also thought it would be different just because most people do the ls swap. I honestly just want to do something that isn't that common and that's also why I was thinking the v6 turbo setup.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This guys 4.3L is a stock engine with a marine intake, turbo system and tune. Making good power.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
long term goal would be to make it a drag truck.
This doesn't say V6.

Junkyard 5.3s with a chop suey sushi slicer turbo will push 1000hp with supporting mods for a tenth of what it will cost you to get half of the power from a V6. If the 5.3 decides that rapid unscheduled disassembly is the theme of the day, an afternoon with another $500 junkyard queen and you'll be ripping down the track again.

A stock Astro van/400/S10 4.3 won't fare well and would have to be built costing downtime and $$$.

I like the V6/SBC platform but unless low end torque is needed, it is tough to not be an LS guy.

slatter66

Reaction score
This doesn't say V6.

Junkyard 5.3s with a chop suey sushi slicer turbo will push 1000hp with supporting mods for a tenth of what it will cost you to get half of the power from a V6. If the 5.3 decides that rapid unscheduled disassembly is the theme of the day, an afternoon with another $500 junkyard queen and you'll be ripping down the track again.

A stock Astro van/400/S10 4.3 won't fare well and would have to be built costing downtime and $$$.

I like the V6/SBC platform but unless low end torque is needed, it is tough to not be an LS
I 100% agree with you the only problem is if I add that much horsepower I'd most likely have to do a built Trans and a few other minor things just for it to handle that much power.