Stiffer spings to stop tires from kissing fenders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
1995 C1500 Suburban, 120k.

Going over certain railroad tracks at speed, my 10.5" wide front tires are just barely touching the fenders when the suspension compresses. I put new KYB shocks on 500 miles ago.

So I ordered 2150lb "heavy duty" springs vs the 1800lb "standard" springs hoping to stop that, but I see the HD springs are actually 1/2" shorter.

So am I risking making things worse with slightly shorter springs, or do you think the new+stiffer springs will be enough?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
The new HD ones should do the trick for you. The sorter overall length is because it wont compress as much as the LD springs.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but your truck won't get it to that length. It doesn't weigh enough.

Reaction score
Yes, but your truck won't get it to that length. It doesn't weigh enough.

Yep, the side with stiffer spring installed is sitting a solid inch higher despite being a 1/2" shorter spring. I think I'll be good.

Oh, the 1/2" difference is a flat cut top on HD vs full coil top on SD.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your new springs dont pan out, I went to some shocks with massive 1 7/8 inch pistons that firmed the front up considerably. I also got some bigger bumpers that I didnt wind up using since the shocks were so stiff, but check out timbren for snowplowing & towing accessories that may give you some other options.

Reaction score
If your new springs dont pan out, I went to some shocks with massive 1 7/8 inch pistons that firmed the front up considerably. I also got some bigger bumpers that I didnt wind up using since the shocks were so stiff, but check out timbren for snowplowing & towing accessories that may give you some other options.

I could have just slapped a leveling kit on if I wanted clearance, but since this is my daily driver I'm trying to keep it as stock-ish as possible, but the factory station-wagon tires weren't doing it for me so they had to go.

I do have a 1995 K2500 Suburban 454 as my project truck though.