1987 GMC v1500 - differences in axle/frame to v2500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrDSmith

Reaction score
I am the proud, second owner of this 4x4 1/2 ton. Pretty new to this world, but am learning.

The arch in the leaf springs has decreased to the point where it has been advised I have them replaced. I can use OEM capacity springs, or beef them up a little (at the expense of a stiffer ride when unloaded).

I am unsure of adding capacity with heavier duty springs, in part, because I am not familiar with the capabilities of the stock 1500 frame and axles.

To that end, my question is - what differences were there between the 1/2 ton (v1500) and 3/4 ton (v2500) variant of this model? Thicker steel in the frame? Beefier rear axle? If there were such differences, I figure it is best to stick to OEM capacity leaf springs.

I am also educating myself regarding replacing the factory bump stops with blue SumoSprings.

Thanks, folks.

[edit] Picture of her in the wild, courtesy of my game camera

Attachments

• 2023-03-05 18.22.51.jpg
    2023-03-05 18.22.51.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, there's some knowledge about the squarebodies around here, but the forum is focused on the later GMT400 trucks.

Legally, your load capacity is going to be what's marked on the sticker in your door jamb. If you take a half-ton cab and plonk it onto a one-ton frame and then get pulled over with a 10k load, the cop isn't going to take the time to verify that you have a one-ton chassis. He's going to write you a ticket because the door jamb says you have a 7k load capacity. (Yes, there's some generalization here.)

Of course, most of our trucks don't have legible stickers any more, so your more serious concern would be if you got in an accident while hauling a load. Would you be open to a lawsuit?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Well, there's some knowledge about the squarebodies around here, but the forum is focused on the later GMT400 trucks.

Legally, your load capacity is going to be what's marked on the sticker in your door jamb. If you take a half-ton cab and plonk it onto a one-ton frame and then get pulled over with a 10k load, the cop isn't going to take the time to verify that you have a one-ton chassis. He's going to write you a ticket because the door jamb says you have a 7k load capacity. (Yes, there's some generalization here.)

Of course, most of our trucks don't have legible stickers any more, so your more serious concern would be if you got in an accident while hauling a load. Would you be open to a lawsuit?
Agreed, www.gmsquarebody.com will be a better place to ask about a square body Burb. That forum is run by the same people behind this one, and as a member of both, I can say it's got a lot of good people on it too.