Sticky throttle from take off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took some lithium grease to my pedal linkage and underhood throttle linkage because my 93 was doing the same thing, actually stuck on once....that was pant fillingly scary, worked like a charm.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
What size are those bolt for the pedal under the dash? I went out to the junk yard to get another pedal assembly from a newer truck and I couldnt find a single socket in my kit that would fit. I figured it would have been a 10mm like half the the things on these trucks but it was too small and 11mm was too big I also tried standard sockets and didnt have anything that fit either..

ajbullins313

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would also check the throttle body blade. The black carbon will build up on mine causing it to stick from take off. I use PB blaster or something to that effect to break it down and then a rag to wipe that crap off. I usually have to wipe mine down once a year or so. At first it starts sticking a little and eventually gets worse. I'd look at that since it's a simple fix if that is your problem.

Also look at the back side of the blade that goes down towards the intake when you open the throttle. Thats were my carbon nuisance usually lies. I just take the blade out all together and wipe it down.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
I would also check the throttle body blade. The black carbon will build up on mine causing it to stick from take off. I use PB blaster or something to that effect to break it down and then a rag to wipe that crap off. I usually have to wipe mine down once a year or so. At first it starts sticking a little and eventually gets worse. I'd look at that since it's a simple fix if that is your problem.

That's what I thought too at first but it even did it with a brand new throttle body. I'm really thinking its in the cable mount not being at the correct angle or not being the correct mount. Still did it when the previous owner had it and put a new cable on and after a new TB. I have kinda just learned to live with it but it does get annoying when its being a pain because it looks like I'm hot roddin it through town when I'm really not lol.

ajbullins313

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah my old 1985 did same thing because the cable was messed up after someone attempted to patch a hole in the carburetor bowl with some kinda putty that dissolved from the gasoline. It gets really annoying riding around small gas station parking lots and people look because they can hear the funny exhaust pattern. Especially with a hole in the welds near my catalytic converters and new emerging hole in my stock muffler from the most recent winter. I do however will use that justify new exhaust this summer.

cdubb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. My wife wont even drive because of it. Would love to know what you do to fix it . Please keep us posted !!!!!

98dieselburb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 95 Tahoe did this same exact thing...Annoyed the daylights out of me. It reared its ugly head when i used a new tbi modded TBI unit.

I tried lubing everything under the sun...didn't do anything...

Then I looked at something so simple. I simply turned the idle screw (yes, there is a hidden one) up about 50 rpm.

Problem gone...Like a new truck. Doesn't seem to be affecting anything else in the least. I can only figure that throttle blade was catching somehow on the bore. Just increased it up a shade, and like i said, running fine, and the stick is gone!

Shawn

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 95 Tahoe did this same exact thing...Annoyed the daylights out of me. It reared its ugly head when i used a new tbi modded TBI unit.

Then I looked at something so simple. I simply turned the idle screw (yes, there is a hidden one) up about 50 rpm.

Problem gone...Like a new truck. Doesn't seem to be affecting anything else in the least. I can only figure that throttle blade was catching somehow on the bore. Just increased it up a shade, and like i said, running fine, and the stick is gone!

Shawn
Helpful post!

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score

Shawn

I will have to get that a shot later when I get off work. Where is that screw located at on the TBI?

98dieselburb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On a factory TBI unit the idle set screw will be capped from the factory so you can't mess with it.

Not all caps look like the one pictured but this is the one that is hardest to remove. Some TBI's may not even have a cap...The easiest way is to first grind the cap flush with the surface of the throttle body. Then use a center punch to help start your drill bit. Drill a 1/8" pilot hole first. You will need a good bit. This cap is made from a hard metal. Once you drill your pilot hole then drill a hole just large enough to get a TORX bit through the hole and onto the screw head. DO NOT drill a hole larger than the screw head. If you drilled your hole just big enough you can simply insert your TORX bit and begin backing out the screw. When the screw hits the underside of the cap it will begin to lift it right out of the hole. No messing around.

If you have a flat cap found on older model TBI units that still fits tight then you can just begin by drilling a hole in it. Sometimes this style cap is already loose and can be pried out with a small screwdriver.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Hope this helps!

Shawn

Attachments

• tbi1.jpg
    tbi1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 7