Sticky throttle from take off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
Wow thats pretty cool! I am gonna give that a shot today and see what happens, thanks for the post man!

skaneever

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this same problem in my 94 and I resolved it today. I'm slowly tearing apart my 92 and putting the better parts from it into the 94. The throttle was so sticky at a stop that I would literally scream the tires when the pedal broke free. It was bordering on being un-driveable. So I decided to take the pedal and cable out of the 92 and swap it into the 94. When I got both of the cables and pedals out of the trucks I realized that the cables and pedals were both just as smooth operating as could be. Then it hit me, the throttle body end of the cable on the 92 was hooked to the linkage on the very top stud on the linkage, and the 94s was on the 2nd stud, closer to the pivot point. I really cant believe I didnt see it sooner. So needless to say I still put the 92 stuff into the 94, hooked the cable where it belonged, top stud, and its smooth like butter! Dont really know why it was hooked up like it was, but turned out to be an easy fix that I made more involved. I definately know how to change a throttle cable now, lol.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Thanks. I've been having this problem too. You might have just saved me some money.

'89/'92Chevy/GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's probably why my '91 Sport had a hard take off as well. Now just to make sure when i put my '89 back together in a few weeks, the order the cables go in.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I never imagined that would be the cause

skaneever

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lower stud is closer to the pivot point on the throttle linkage, making it harder to pull, the top stud is farther away, giving the cable more leverage. I'm pretty sure its supposed to be on the top stud and that it was just put on the lower one inadvertantly sometime along the way.