Steve, my 1995 K1500 Cowboy Cadillac.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Here you can see the engine block shrink wrapped and oiled for the winter. In the background are a used set of tires that I traded my busted 350 for. The pistons and rods are in the box on top.

You must be registered for see images attach

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
And my Deville steering wheel fully installed! I had to take apart the end of the column and replace the wheel shaft. I'm pretty sure this was right after I reinstalled the dash that was in the bed all winter.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Focusing on the trans build. The trans itself was a 200K 4WD 4L80E out of a 1995 K2500 garbage hauler. Lots of start/stop city driving, probably regular fluid changes and maintenance. It looked great inside. I did a few upgrades during the rebuild.
The kit came from Rock Auto, made by a company called PA Cargo. Never heard of them, but it is just a basic wholesaler kit with name brand stuff. I had to figure out the part number myself because the make model search wouldn't. I deciphered their part numbering scheme and found DK3400ES, a banner kit. I went with the same brand for the bushings, part K34903E. As upgrades I used a Ford C6 pump bushing for the rear of the case. It has a similar function as a no walk bushing like a Sonnax, but installs from inside the case. It is installed slightly proud of the case to center the rear torrington bearing. That is a TH350 pump bearing 9436851, shimmed with TH350 pump shims to set rear end play. This provides a rollerized thrust surface for the rear of the case which is a real weak point of the the TH400 and 80E. I also installed a Sonnax stator bushing which is wider than stock.
I did the dual feed mod to increase holding power of the direct clutch. I installed upgraded intermediate springs half stock and half stronger aftermarket. The intermediate snap ring, which engages the case lugs, is replaced with a spiralock ring. A Sonnax reverse boost valve is installed, the one without the pressure relief valve.
The valve body separator plate is a new stock big block piece and the check balls are the imidized replacement ones. The stock steel ones beat the hell out the of the original plate. The accumulator springs were replaced as one was broken and I didn't trust them.
For clutches, I also installed a better direct piston and turbolator steels for the overdrive to help fuel economy in the lower gears. I installed the 4L85E wave plates in the forward and direct clutch packs.
Topping it all off I installed the one must have item that these trans should have had, a weld in drain plug kit. I am running Dexron VI fluid.

Any questions?

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I have a press in my garage so it makes a lot of things easier. I use lots of old steel off cuts or bearing shells and such to install bushings. Unfortunately the center support has a very long bushing with poor access so I tried to use a modified punch to fold thee bushing for removal and caught the oil hole and blew a hole in the cast iron. I had to buy another center support and it had a decent bushing WHICH I LEFT ALONE.