Steering Wheel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SK Productions

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man you are lucky! I work every other Saturday and it's hard getting to a junkyard because the ones within an hour's drive from where I live close at 12, and I work until 2 so it's hard to bolt on a 2 hour drive to a junkyard that's open until 5 and I only have like an hour. That's how I got the Theftlock Radio and CD Player out of a 97 Tahoe. Of course, since this is my first truck and only truck, I had to take my 95 Sierra which I hate doing because it's racking up miles. Finding this old of a truck with this low miles is simply awesome

SK Productions

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I made it there and only had an hour before closing. I found the wheel but couldn't find where the airbag comes off. Got some broken speedometers so I could make my own faceplates, and I found an Escalade but the door chime module was gone.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Damnit! The ones I had found the chime boxes were gone too. With the air bag, there should be some push pins that you have to pinch and then it pops off, I believe, I could be wrong. I don't know if you did this or not, but there is a plastic piece behind the wheel that you have to remove to get to the air bag.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fast forward to about 2 minutes in, this guy’s video shows how to pull the airbag off. There are slots in the back of the wheel, use a screwdriver and (if I remember right) you push in and maybe twist to release a spring clip.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SK Productions

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It'll have to wait. I got in a wreck today :( I damaged my driver's side mirror, fender, one turn signal light, one headlight, grill, bumper, and wheel well. I lost a wheel too but I had a backup. I limped it back to a house my stepdad owns an hour away (That's the town I was in.) I was so upset when I did it. Insurance will cover it but just not having my baby for a while hurts me. Dunno if there's any frame or suspension damage (doubt it.) Truck still runs like a champ.

XJPhoenix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It'll have to wait. I got in a wreck today :( I damaged my driver's side mirror, fender, one turn signal light, one headlight, grill, bumper, and wheel well. I lost a wheel too but I had a backup. I limped it back to a house my stepdad owns an hour away (That's the town I was in.) I was so upset when I did it. Insurance will cover it but just not having my baby for a while hurts me. Dunno if there's any frame or suspension damage (doubt it.) Truck still runs like a champ.

That sucks! Are you okay? As long as you're all right, that's what really matters. Metal can be fixed, or upgraded.

:)

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I'm curious about your stereo... Is it stock for your truck? I've never seen a stock tape deck system that looked like yours, not even in junkyards. The volume knob is always over the tuning knob like the stocker CD player decks, like so:

You must be registered for see images attach

Edit to say, I can't even find one like yours on Google... What in the world is that out of??

Last edited: