Steering Wheel Swap

Discussion in 'OEM and Custom Interiors' started by SK Productions, Aug 19, 2019.

1. SK Productions

SK Productions Newbie

I've got one last question and that's about the steering wheel. Not a fan of the one in my truck. In 98, they changed it to the one I love and used it for the newer bodystyles, along with smaller models like the S10 and Sonoma. I'm sure it would work since it's the same truck, but I got into an argument at the junkyard and I just wanted to make sure with the experts here that it would work before going any farther.

Steering wheel I have now:

[​IMG]

Steering Wheel from 98 (Same truck, so why wouldn't it work?):

[​IMG]

And if this fits, would one from a Sonoma or Jimmy work? It's the same wheel but I'm having trouble locating a 98 Sierra in a junkyard

2. gmcyukondriver

gmcyukondriver Built, not bought.

If I remember correctly, the splines on the steering shaft are different, but someone may be able to chime in to confirm this for sure. I just remember hearing that it was an issue.

3. deadbeat

deadbeat Centurion Crew Cab

I believe you have to change the clockspring from the 2 you have pictured above. The 99+ ones have different splines and clockspring.

4. SK Productions

SK Productions Newbie

Cool. How hard would changing a spline and clockspring be? I don't want to replace the whole entire steering shaft just for the wheel

5. deadbeat

You do not have to change the spline for the pictured steering wheels.

6. deadbeat

Clock spring is simple after you pull the wheel, make sure before you pull the air bag to unhook the battery cables for about 15 minutes.

7. 98chevy2500SS

98chevy2500SS Bowtie 'Til I Die

@deadbeat is correct on the splines being the same and how the clock springs are different as the newer style is the "Next Gen Air Bag." Problem is, does your junk yard allow the sale of air bags? I know my local j/y's don't allow me to buy them, or at least I think. Which makes sense, so you can't sue them for selling you a faulty air bag.

I am the complete opposite with the steering wheels lol, I like the 95-97 style much better than the 98-newer style.

8. deadbeat

You might get lucky, I have bought airbags at my local salvage yards.

9. SK Productions

SK Productions Newbie

Oh they'll sell the airbags. Problem is, they won't just sell the wheel. They want to sell me the whole entire steering system. I can find another junkyard that'll sell them probably.

10. 98chevy2500SS

98chevy2500SS Bowtie 'Til I Die

Oh ok, wasn't sure if yours did or not. Do they want you to buy the column or the ENTIRE steering system with pump etc.? How much are they asking?