Steering Wheel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SK Productions

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
entire column for $80. I just don't think it's worth it. I'll be stuck with a perfectly fine column that nobody is going to buy. I'm going to try a couple other places when I get a day off from work. All junkyards where I live are over an hour away :/

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If that comes with the wheel, that's a steal of a price. It took me months to find a clean example of the earlier big center leather wrapped wheel, and cost me more than what they're trying to charge you for that whole column.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed. Great price on the column/wheel assembly. Yours will sell to someone that has a broken column from theft attempt.

If you'd come to me at my yard I would have asked at least that much...good columns and good steering wheels are worth $$

Richard

SK Productions

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, didn't know that steering wheels alone costed more than $80. Well, I asked if I could get one out of a Sonoma, but they told me it wouldn't fit.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Look out for a 98+ astro van with the radio controls mounted on the wheel :boti: :biggrin:

eshaw

Reaction score
A good condition leather wrapped wheel will run you approximately 100.00 just for the wheel. You don't necessarily have to swap clock springs either. When I swapped my wheel for my 98 I got a later wheel with the small air bag. I kept my original clock spring. You can change the end of the connectors too just so you know, then they will fit the newer airbag. The only time I've found I have to swap clock springs is if I want the remote steering controls. Then it requires a different clock spring.

SK Productions

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't need remote controls, though it would be nice to have :) I just really like the wheel. I drove a 2002 Sierra yesterday and I absolutely loved the wheel.

SK Productions

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I have a planned trip to this huge junkyard in the Saint Louis area Saturday. I need to grab both fenders (Mine are rusting and I don't want them to reach the rockers.) and I'll look for the steering wheel, and Door Chime from an Escalade. I'm going to make this a near perfect condition truck. I made a list of all things that need done to it last night and I'm so excited to get to build it.