Steering wheel refinishing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rayhawk

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to recover their steering wheel, and how did it come out? I see there are used wheels on ebay, but I'm thinking about attempting a recover myself. Mine is a 97 Tahoe K1500.

I found this for later model vehicles, but I haven't been able to find one for my wheel:

On amazon, ... /Yeolpise-Silverado-Avalanche-Breathable-Microfiber.

Attachments

• 20231214_205045.jpg
    20231214_205045.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 21

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recover it myself? Would not even try it. Some things are better off left to professionals.

I had my steering wheel recovered by Craft Customs. I think they did a good job.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Recover it myself? Would not even try it. Some things are better off left to professionals.

I had my steering wheel recovered by Craft Customs. I think they did a good job.

Looks great; what did that run you and how well does it match the horn button cover?

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That does look really nice. Cost is a bit steep but I can imagine what cheaper work looks like. The wheel in my SS is just a tiny bit worn at the top, nowhere near needing to be redone, but one of these years..

Forever ago, I managed to score a new GM wheel for the 3500HD pretty cheap from the dealer. It's not the leather wrap, just the foam rubber base model wheel, non-airbag of course. Since the horn button is a different material and also not new, the difference is obvious, but not terrible. Part # 15759723 for those looking for that particular wheel, figure it might be in demand since so many work trucks (95-up) have really worn steering wheels. Still available new for around $200 and change from amazon, but showing as discontinued on most GM parts sites, so if someone's in the market.. oughta snap one up before they're gone.

Richard

rayhawk

Reaction score
So just wanted to give an update. I bought a used wheel from ebay for $100 that was better than mine, but I decided to re-dye it. First, I applied some superglue to fill in the damage, and sanded it smooth. Then, I coated it with some dark gray leather dye, I think it came out pretty nice.

This is the dye I bought from Amazon:

STARTSO WORLD Leather-Recoloring-Balm-Repair-Cream-Kit for Restoration Dark Gray Couches, Sofa, Furniture Color Dye Restorer - 8OZ

I did 3 coats of the dye, probably should have stopped at 2, since the last coat didn't really soak in. Seems dry, but left some extra texture on the surface. I guess I could sand it smooth, but it looks and feels ok so I'll probably leave it as is.

Last edited: