Steering feels light after gear box replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IDK ANYTHING about it.... So I'm kinda asking a learning question.... On the old boxes thought they had a allen screw and lock nut on top of box? to adjust the worm gear play or something? IDK... Other than that the only time I ever felt those symptoms in steering was with way to much tire pressure LOL

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was probably a bad thing to do? LOL.... But back in mid 70's as a kid I had a 72 Blazer lifted 4in. The ones with round wheel wells and GOOD metal bodies LOL... I loosened the allen screw lock nut, and tightened the screw a touch, solved my problem being loose. IDK what it does? changes the lash on the gears? or ruins it? but fixed it from wandering with light wheel feel that it had before !! LOL

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Was probably a bad thing to do? LOL.... But back in mid 70's as a kid I had a 72 Blazer lifted 4in. The ones with round wheel wells and GOOD metal bodies LOL... I loosened the allen screw lock nut, and tightened the screw a touch, solved my problem being loose. IDK what it does? changes the lash on the gears? or ruins it? but fixed it from wandering with light wheel feel that it had before !! LOL
It's pretty much just half of the adjustment. The full adjustment procedure is outlined very clearly in the factory service manuals, but many don't bother to look. It's not complicated but is a little bit involved to do correctly.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones with round wheel wells and GOOD metal bodies LOL... I loosened the allen screw lock nut, and tightened the screw a touch, solved my problem being loose. IDK what it does? changes the lash on the gears? or ruins it?
If you adjust it too tight you can cause extreme wear on the sector shaft, or even break it. I think. It's been a while since I looked at the parts breakdown.

Follow the adjustment procedure in the manual.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDK ANYTHING about it.... So I'm kinda asking a learning question.... On the old boxes thought they had a allen screw and lock nut on top of box? to adjust the worm gear play or something? IDK... Other than that the only time I ever felt those symptoms in steering was with way to much tire pressure LOL
Yeah,you were adjusting worm to sector lash. Most manufacturers recommend a slight interference(drag)at the high spot on the sector gear. I personally like a little lash with no more than 1/2" play at the steering wheel rim. Guess it's from learning to drive in an old worn out truck.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll know if you get them too tight. Make a turn and it will want to keep turning because the castor can't overcome the friction in the box. Major PITA when driving in a straight line too. You will be constantly pulling the wheel back after making drift corrections