steeet strip build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88_stepside

Reaction score
i have an 88' rcsb im doing a 434/glide street strip build on. really want to get rid of power steering for a few reasons, also later to mount a procharger. is there anyone who makes a manual steering box or conversion kit to manual for these trucks? ive looked and looked and cant find anything. tried to find some from different applications but most of the mounting points are a bit different. thanks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know of a manual gearbox for these trucks. If they exist, they must have been unpopular.

Worst-case: Fabricate a hose (or tube) that goes from the fluid inlet of the gearbox directly to the fluid outlet. Fill gearbox with PS fluid, screw the hose/tube in place so that the fluid recirculates instead of leaks out.

I drove a couple of Potatoglide cars in my long-ago youth. You couldn't give me one, today. They're a disaster on the street. Might be OK in certain racing classes especially with a big-block in a very light vehicle.

Reconsider your trans choice. Even a TH350 is a nice step up.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worst-case: Fabricate a hose (or tube) that goes from the fluid inlet of the gearbox directly to the fluid outlet. Fill gearbox with PS fluid, screw the hose/tube in place so that the fluid recirculates instead of leaks out.
That's not worst-case, that's the best and easiest way to do it.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
@Wh4t3v3rs did a manual rack and pinion conversion look at his build. I will be doing what @Schurkey suggested and doing a looped backed manual conversion the fittings on the gear are easily found.

M16-1.5 o-ring
M18-1.5 o-ring

Those are the two fitting size. They are found in many varieties. I have them in the AN variety.

Last edited:

Rock Hard Concrete

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your steering components from the wheel to the steering box are going to all have accelerated wear from the excessive force of turning manually. Probably not a concern of yours, just something to consider.