Starter choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Siggertx

Reaction score
My starter on my 96 1500 5.7 is on its way out so I figured I'd order a new one from an online vendor that I happen to have a discount coupon for. Two versions are available though, a direct drive and a reduction gear model. I see that they also have different tooth counts on the output. Any way to tell which is appropriate for my truck without pulling the old one? Do they interchange? Local parts house shows the same offerings without any clarification.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the tooth count relates to the direct drive vs. gear reduction. Rockauto lists two compatible ACDelco units for your truck. The direct drive has a 9 tooth output and the gear reduction has 11 teeth. Gear reduction starters spin faster and draw less power (they may also weigh less). Looks like a ~$20 difference between the two.

ACDELCO 3371018 is your OE starter.
ACDELCO 3371022 is the gear reduction upgrade.

Siggertx

Reaction score
So either starter will work in my rig correct? I was concerned that the different gear tooth counts might mean that there are different flywheel tooth counts...

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes you can swap to the gear reduction starter. I think that they use specific bolts, GM part #12338064.

Maybe someone can confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirth Gersen

Reaction score
well, I dont know if the 96 Vortecs use exact same engine block, flex plate, etc, as 94 5.7L TBI ...
But here's what works on my 94:

Autozone DL9990S mini-starter (gear reduction)
11t pinion, offset mount bolts, for 168t flywheel.
Bolts: two GM # 12338064 (3/8”–16 x 4–5/16” under head length.

The mini-starters are wonderful ! Light & easy to install, and frees up so much space.

IIRC, I did have to extend the wire to the solenoid -- crimp, solder, and cover w/ heat shrink tube. Soldering is a must, else crimps will eventually corrode.

The Autozone reman starter is decent quality & has lifetime warranty.