vortec starters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Thats sorta half true.

the factory mini starter is high torque, most Vortec's have them, some dont. they started coming around in about 1993-1994ish.

they bolt right on.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Sorta figured thanks for the quick response josh

No problem. I have had trucks with them, and some without. Never really seemed to make much of a difference. My 1996 doesn't have one, but my dads 1995 had one and so did my 1994.

Alot of hotrodders and muscle car guys use them while using LT headers.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
well i have to take my engine out and im using the engine from the 96 tahoe we scrapped. the starter was good and a bunch of other stuff so i was just checking because i think ill use it

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
So starters are interchangeable between the vortec/tbi whether it be a mini high torque one or not?
Brand new starter from the 94 sitting in the shop, 97 starting to free spin every now and then when I go to fire it up.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So starters are interchangeable between the vortec/tbi whether it be a mini high torque one or not?
Brand new starter from the 94 sitting in the shop, 97 starting to free spin every now and then when I go to fire it up.

Yuppers

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something to consider...

Chevrolet used two different flywheel diameters on both the SBC and BBC. 153 tooth and 168 tooth. IIRC the 153 tooth uses a starter with a straight bolt pattern and the 168 tooth uses an angled bold pattern where the starter bolts to the block. For the most part, any 90* V6 or V8 Chevrolet starter will work on any Gen I/II small block or any BBC provided you run the correct diameter flywheel that matches the starter. Most all BBC's used the large 168 tooth flywheel, but not all 350's used a large flywheel.

The mounting bolts are unique to the mini starter. They are available thru a GM dealer - part# 12338064.

I run a 153 tooth custom made flywheel on my 454SS because of the special clutch requirement. I also run a 4.3L V6 Blazer starter (what I originally took the starter off of back when I started my project) that was rebuilt to stock specs. Back then you could not source a new one other than GM. It has held up fine over the 12-13 years it has been on there. I t. A great because with the headers you want to try to gettheheataway from the starter. I only have the wiring heat insulation wrapped and no shield on the starter. It is much lighter weight and sounds better when cranking.

My '96 K2500 had one from the factory (168 tooth).

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info in this topic! Below is a picture of the TBI and Vortec starter bolts side by side and how much I paid for two of the Vortec starter bolts at a local dealer. Dirt cheap!

You must be registered for see images attach