Spring coolant top up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Expand please?

He is talking about running a used oil analysis through blackstone labs to see if it has coolant in the oil. Not a bad idea, its cheap insurance to know whats going on inside your engine anyway. I usually run one every oil change on my daily and on the first oil change on new-to-me vehicles.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have Blackstone Labs do an oil analysis on all of my vehicles every few years as well, and would recommend it to anyone. They can detect even the smallest trace amounts of anything that's not supposed to be in there. They saved the 400SBC in our 1970 Monte Carlo by detecting the presence of coolant in the oil immediately after an engine overhaul. Turns out we missed a small crack in the driver's side head. The crack was transferring coolant into the oil, but not enough that we could tell on our own.

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season worst in 20yrs F!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is talking about running a used oil analysis through blackstone labs to see if it has coolant in the oil. Not a bad idea, its cheap insurance to know whats going on inside your engine anyway. I usually run one every oil change on my daily and on the first oil change on new-to-me vehicles.
28yrs old now and no issues, and they told me to start getting a camera up my Alpha Sierra Sierra 15yrs ago. Said no thanks, and it is free here in Canada. No issues yet.

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season worst in 20yrs F!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Blackstone Labs do an oil analysis on all of my vehicles every few years as well, and would recommend it to anyone. They can detect even the smallest trace amounts of anything that's not supposed to be in there. They saved the 400SBC in our 1970 Monte Carlo by detecting the presence of coolant in the oil immediately after an engine overhaul. Turns out we missed a small crack in the driver's side head. The crack was transferring coolant into the oil, but not enough that we could tell on our own.
If this issue started at new off the lot, would it not be a big problem now at 28yrs and 86 K miles?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Lol, fair enough, you do you. Regular oil changes with cheap oil is better than extended oil changes w/o analysis. I just do it on my daily because I push the limits of the oil. Every oil change I find out how far I can push it next time, the car is around 210k miles and I am running 18k mile oil changes. AmsOil signature series rated at 25k.

And I have a running log of what is going on in my engine, if something changes I know there is a repair needed soon. Two years ago those oil analysis' found bad timing chain guides before they failed catastrophically and wrapped the crankshaft.

Just a heads up, they can be useful

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If this issue started at new off the lot, would it not be a big problem now at 28yrs and 86 K miles?

I would certainly think so, but if I were in your shoes I'd be tempted to have an analysis done out of curiosity anyway. Even if they don't find anything out of the ordinary, $35 for a confirmed clean bill of health after 28 years might not be a bad thing.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would certainly think so, but if I were in your shoes I'd be tempted to have an analysis done out of curiosity anyway. Even if they don't find anything out of the ordinary, $35 for a confirmed clean bill of health after 28 years might not be a bad thing.
I also have transmission fluid analyzed.