Coolant questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'all try Permatex aviation gasket maker,it's about the same as the old Indian Head gasket shellac. It's the only thing I use for pipe dope on water,fuel,air,oil or brake fittings with pipe threads. Nothing ever leaks and the fittings never stick.
Is that the same as permatex no.1?

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I re-use them provided they work when they're removed. I'd then test 'em to assure they're working when re-installed.

Note that they require a specific torque spec. Too tight = too sensitive, too loose = not sensitive enough.

You're only going to need one draincock, since the other hole gets the knock sensor.
Ok. Do you know what the torque spec is on that? Ill be replacing it soon

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that the same as permatex no.1?
#1 is "Fast Drying, Hard Setting".
#2 is "Non-Hardening, Pliable Sealant".
#1 and #2 come in squeeze-tubes.

#3 (Aviation) is "Slow-drying, non-hardening brush-top sealant"; so more like #2 than #1, but thin enough to flow instead of being thick like toothpaste. Why this is special for "Aviation" is totally beyond me.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Secured a spare. $29.00 w/shipping.:biggrin:
You must be registered for see images attach

I’m seeing torque values between 15-18lbs.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember 13 ft/lbs for some reason, that's what I torqued mine to, oh well.
That was just a quick google search, that 15-18 could be wrong. It very well could be 14 lbs.
Edit: Found it - 15lbs.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: