New coolant issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I just installed a new thermostat, thermostat housing, and replaced both block drain plugs. Just ran the truck for probly a total of 20 minuets and it got up to about 250 degrees. And I put in a 180 degree thermostat. Also have put in about 3 gallons of dex cool. And everything worked fine before I put in new a new knock sensor and drain plug. Stayed right at 180 when driving it.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am monitoring using the temp gauge and then thermo gun right where the sensor would be. I feel like since the system worked fine before I opened up the block probly air in the system. Not sure how to get it out though, as I have coolant coming back up in my funnel rather than air taking coolant in. Have had some success letting it sit and air bleed and adding little bits at a time. I sure hope the thermostat would be opening as its brand new

95 Tahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am monitoring using the temp gauge and then thermo gun right where the sensor would be. I feel like since the system worked fine before I opened up the block probly air in the system. Not sure how to get it out though, as I have coolant coming back up in my funnel rather than air taking coolant in. Have had some success letting it sit and air bleed and adding little bits at a time. I sure hope the thermostat would be opening as its brand new
If the system is air tight, which it should be. You can fill the coolant reservoir and run it up to operating temp and shut it down. It should let the air escape and replace the airspace with coolant.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok how full do you think I should fill the resivor? Half full?

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What should I do about it getting hot? Would driving it help? It was just idling. I just don’t want it to get too hot.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed a new thermostat, thermostat housing, and replaced both block drain plugs. Just ran the truck for probly a total of 20 minuets and it got up to about 250 degrees. And I put in a 180 degree thermostat. Also have put in about 3 gallons of dex cool. And everything worked fine before I put in new a new knock sensor and drain plug. Stayed right at 180 when driving it.
WHAT VEHICLE??? 3 gallons of anti-freeze seems like a lot.

Gets hot at idle, normal temp (actually too cool, scrap the 180 'stat for a 195) when driving?

Failing water pump
Failing fan clutch
Failing radiator--can't transfer heat to the air, so the fan clutch never gets hot enough to engage.

I'd be looking at the fan clutch first.

It'd be really unlikely that this is a result of trapped air.