Coolant questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Woof. Those plugs start out at 9/16 wrench size.

Howzabout you post a photo of the bolt/plug you're working on?
Yea I can do that I’ll try and get one tomorrow before I start. Its all by itself so I would assume its the right one.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think I could use thread tape? I feel like thread tape works well for a lot of things
Thread tape on a pipe thread plug in the cooling system is do-able but NOT recommended.

Thread tape on a fuel or oil system is asking for EXPENSIVE trouble.

I don't like thread tape. It works...and then shreds the next time you unscrew whatever it was you sealed with it. The plastic shreds get into the fuel or oil systems, they can cause REAL problems. Thread tape shreds in the cooling system are somewhat harmless.

You wanna use thread tape on a compressed-air system in the garage, or a gas furnace, that's likely going to last decades before it comes apart again? Sure. I don't EVER use it on a vehicle.

That's the reason I recommended the 592 anaerobic thread sealer.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I’ll spend the money, got a knock sensor the 2 new drain valves coming and the thread sealent. Thanks for the help and I hop that making liquid metal with loosen that bolt before it breaks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I re-use them provided they work when they're removed. I'd then test 'em to assure they're working when re-installed.

Note that they require a specific torque spec. Too tight = too sensitive, too loose = not sensitive enough.

You're only going to need one draincock, since the other hole gets the knock sensor.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll be doing this pretty soon. Probably have a new one on hand and assess after pulling it.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'all try Permatex aviation gasket maker,it's about the same as the old Indian Head gasket shellac. It's the only thing I use for pipe dope on water,fuel,air,oil or brake fittings with pipe threads. Nothing ever leaks and the fittings never stick.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Y'all try Permatex aviation gasket maker,it's about the same as the old Indian Head gasket shellac. It's the only thing I use for pipe dope on water,fuel,air,oil or brake fittings with pipe threads. Nothing ever leaks and the fittings never stick.
Also works very well on the Vortec water pump bolts that have to be "sealed" because they go into the water jacket.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWPreston1969