Coolant questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok the only thing I noticed js that with no thermostat at all and I ran the truck a good 10-20 miles not consistently and each time it ran fine to me. Not gonna say I had better or worse fuel economy as I have no idea and nor did I track it I am also using premixed Valvoline something with dex cool in it. Thanks for the help so far

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY "PREMIXED" coolant unless it's a near-emergency. It's a scam--a total rip-off.

The stuff costs almost as much as "pure" antifreeze, but they're only giving you half as much. You can buy distilled water in any grocery store for a buck a gallon.

Some folks hate Dex-Cool ("Death Cool") but I figure any problems with it--and there were some--have been fixed by updating gasket materials and updating the additive package in the coolant itself. When it's me, I'm buying Peak Global Lifetime Concentrate.

Thus, you pour in the antifreeze FIRST, based on the published capacity of the cooling system, then the water to top-off. This assures you have enough freeze/boil/corrosion protection, even if there's some additional water that didn't drain after the flush

Last edited:

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for that info. So the drain bolt deal on the drivers side if the truck is stuck, do you think it’d be ok to bring mr. Torch out to heat that bolt up cherry red and then try to impact it out? I dont not feel like snapping a bolt off in the block or wanting to do any damage to the block. If there is any opposition please let me know as I plan to work on it tomorrow evening

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a "bolt". It's a pipe plug.

Yes, heat the plug, (not the block) let it cool, see if it screws out. You did use a 6-point socket...right?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The drains may also be clogged. Even after removing them from my 454 I had to take a pick to the debris to get them flowing.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I would best bet its full out rust and fun jazz. What’s the difference between a bolt and a pipe plug? And yes I did use a 6-point. It was a deep well Milwaukee half inch socket. I have found it pretty common for the bolt to be rusted to a very slightly smaller size and then the socket rounding it off. Yay me.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bolts have straight thread. The diameter of the threaded part of the bolt doesn't change from the first thread to the last.

Pipe plugs--at least in this case, there are exceptions--have tapered threads. A trained eye can see the taper, although most folks can't until they study it some.

The first thread, at the end of the plug is smaller in diameter than the second thread, which is smaller than the third thread, etc. Seems to me it's taper is 1/8 inch per inch of thread. The female threads are the opposite--the first thread is bigger diameter than the second thread, which is bigger than the third, etc. When the plug is screwed into the hole, it gets progressively tighter until you've got a leak-free thread seal based on deformation of the metal parts--the plug "wedges into" the hole.

It's common on older machinery for the plugs to be "dry". They were too cheap to apply a sealant. Ideally, they get a Teflon/PTFE-based sealer which acts as a sealant and as a lube. The plug doesn't need as much torque to seal well, and it comes back out easier.

For SBC and BBC, the plugs are 1/4" pipe thread. Pontiac uses 1/8" pipe thread for their block drains, and some Buicks don't even HAVE block drains (rotten bastages.)
For example:
www.amazon.com/Adapter-Fittings-Fitting-Hex-Head-Plug-Thread/dp/B07NVPR4BL/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3UZUQG0QIE9SX

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

or, even more fun:
www.amazon.com/Joywayus-Fitting-External-Switch-Handle/dp/B07MF75X5V/ref=sr_1_6

And my favorite thread sealer. Also available at most auto-parts stores. Truly fabulous stuff:
www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KKTH2/?coliid=I2C34IAJPLZFEQ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks for all that fun jazz. Think I could use thread tape? I feel like thread tape works well for a lot of things and the only time I would use liquid thread locker is now.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Woof. Those plugs start out at 9/16 wrench size.
Yea and it started out there than just became the unidentifiable type of bolt. So im gonna weld a nut to it and pray it doesnt snap off