Spring coolant top up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you do preventative maintenance on your vehicles?

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season worst in 20yrs F!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would certainly think so, but if I were in your shoes I'd be tempted to have an analysis done out of curiosity anyway. Even if they don't find anything out of the ordinary, $35 for a confirmed clean bill of health after 28 years might not be a bad thing.
Is that $35 American, cause I can make a lot of Home Brew with that coin 2by4 (just fooling around). Good Times

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
coolant loss of some kind is not something that should be alarming, even the owners manuals typically state something about topping off coolant with 50% mix to avoid diluting etc etc. But its not something most of us will experience to a signfiicant degree. all your vehicle has to do is overheat the coolant enough to expand to the volume of the purge tank and then its simply a matter of loss through the purge.

In a sealed purge tank, its less likely since no evaporation can occur. but even in vented purge tanks that are not pressurized, evap will be minimal.

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season worst in 20yrs F!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coolant loss of some kind is not something that should be alarming, even the owners manuals typically state something about topping off coolant with 50% mix to avoid diluting etc etc. But its not something most of us will experience to a signfiicant degree. all your vehicle has to do is overheat the coolant enough to expand to the volume of the purge tank and then its simply a matter of loss through the purge.

In a sealed purge tank, its less likely since no evaporation can occur. but even in vented purge tanks that are not pressurized, evap will be minimal.
And after 28 yrs you have explained my non situation condition.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I lived in Manitoba where it hits -45 once or twice a year, I was driving a Subaru and it needed a maybe 50-100ml top up every year. I always worried my head gaskets were about to go, but they never did.

Now I live in the Yukon, and I drive a Yukon, and it hits -50 a handful of times a year. I notice I have to add about the same, 50-100ml to keep it at the line. My hose at the heater valve also weeps a tiny bit at -45, but I don't care to work on anything at those temps, and it's never dripped at higher temps, so I don't worry too much.