Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My speakers seem to have a squeel to them. they elevate with the rpm. if i turn the volume to 0 it goes away. but if i just click pause its still there. its annoying and would like to know how to fix it. it just randomly started doing this and idk why..

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock stereo/speakers?

Alternator whine is usually the result of a bound ground somewhere. Usually only happens with aftermarket stereos and amps, though.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This ^^^^ ground issue, regardless of stock or aftermarket.

Assuming aftermarket head unit?

If you're getting your power and ground to the head unit through the factory radio harness (spliced or using an adapter, either way), sort out ALL your truck's factory grounds first. Not just for your stereo but for everything else electrical in your truck.

IF that doesn't solve it, then run power and ground separately from the battery, from the distribution block for your amp(s) if you have one, etc. just as long as it's straight from the battery and FUSE IT as close as humanly possible to the battery so there's very little chance of it burning up if you get a short.

I have also once had a really weird one; bad amp blew out the internal line-out fuse protection on a damn nice Pioneer head unit I had - and it started with the whine. If I manually grounded the RCA jacks it would shut up...never did bother to fix it; I just threw it into another truck that didn't have external amps.

Richard

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ive got head unit and subs. its just so random. out of the blue it popped up. id like to solve it. my amp for subs is grounded to the bolt on the edge of my seat frame. i havent really changed much for grounds.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
ive got head unit and subs. its just so random. out of the blue it popped up. id like to solve it. my amp for subs is grounded to the bolt on the edge of my seat frame. i havent really changed much for grounds.

You dont have to change any for them to go bad

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so its something that is not grounded at all or? How can it be grounded wrong/bad?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
so its something that is not grounded at all or? How can it be grounded wrong/bad?

Corrosion & vibration will mess with the electrical connections, both (+) & (-). Those are 19-20 years old now, on your truck.
The ground that is usually the first to go bad/break is the braided one that goes from the body to the back of the engine.
I'd suggest doing 'The Big 3'. It's more efficient, so it's easier on your whole electrical system. At the age these trucks are now, that's cheap insurance. If those are the original cables, they probably need replacing anyhow, so why not do it right, once?
Grounds are important. The electrical system is only as good as it's weakest point. Grounds should be as large, or larger, than your power cables.
I'm not a fan of grounding stereo systems to the seat bolts. That's an environment that is prone to moisture (the beginning of corrosion) & all the dirt & other stuff that can work it's way into that area. I prefer a dedicated ground or run that right back to the battery.
When you check the cables on the truck now, if they are showing that green/white corrosion at the ends, I wager odds that that runs the length of the cable inside.