Cant find speakers online...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im new to autowork, and the speakers on my 91 just blew out, radio still turns on, but I don't hear any crackles. Ive watched some yt videos on how to replace my dash speakers, and I am looking for aftermarket speakers that will fit. But so far I can only find some AC Delco stock replacements. Any suggestions on where to find them?

Check out crutchfield.com, you can input your vehicle details and they'll show you options that are guaranteed to fit your truck.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Suburban/Tahoe rear speakers are 4"x10", not 4"x6". There are decent sounding speakers available in that size that drop right in.

Regarding hacking 6"x9"s into the rear pillars, bad idea all around IMO. Proper soundstage means the majority of the sound is coming from in front of you. A good set of 6.5" components in kick panels would be a much better option for trucks without factory door speakers.
Yeah, I never bothered with rear speakers in our Regular Cab, Now its only a set of small but really good speakers in the dash and two 8" subs sprinkled with some DSP magic. Sounds Amazing for what it is.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I never bothered with rear speakers in our Regular Cab, Now its only A set of small but really good speakers in the dash and two 8" subs sprinkled with some DSP magic. Sounds Amazing for what it is.

I've got a pretty decent system in my standard cab. Two 12" subs, 6.5"/4" components front/rear, and three two channel amps. About a year ago the amp for the rear 4" components died and I haven't even bothered with fixing or replacing it. IMO the system sounds just as good (if not better) without the rear fill.

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Suburban/Tahoe rear speakers are 4"x10", not 4"x6". There are decent sounding speakers available in that size that drop right in.

Regarding hacking 6"x9"s into the rear pillars, bad idea all around IMO. Proper soundstage means the majority of the sound is coming from in front of you. A good set of 6.5" components in kick panels would be a much better option for trucks without factory door speakers.
Put 6x9s in rear of my 93 suburban, took mounting plates out and cut to fit, wasn't to bad to do, it was about 15 years ago or so, looking for pics

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Several places to get factory sized, worth looking here to convert to 6x9s instead, better sound than 4x6 offers
I don't think that he's going to get 6x9s in his dash, at least not if he wants to keep it looking stock and not a hack job.. I'm in the process of putting 5x7s in the dash of my '89 and it is quite a task. My dash is out of the truck so cutting it up to get the speakers to fit will be a little easier. Check on eBay or Amazon and search for "4x6 speakers". They start at around $20. I've got Polk 4x6s in the back, will be putting Polk 5x7s in the dash (speaking from experience, I recommend sticking with the factory 4x6 size). They sound pretty good. Any name brand should give you better sound. One thing to consider is how far above the speaker frame the tweeter protrudes if you get coaxials. You won't be able to get the grille back on if they stick up too much. 4x6s don't put out a lot of bass so adding a powered under the seat subwoofer will give you a nice full sound without a lot of effort or expense.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6x9s in the dash would not only be very difficult. It would also be a baad move.
Way smarter, simpler and better sounding would be a 4" with tweeter plate in the dash and a 6-7inch woofer in the door.
The 91's didn't come with door speakers. So putting some in would require cutting up his door panels.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a pretty decent system in my standard cab. Two 12" subs, 6.5"/4" components front/rear, and three two channel amps. About a year ago the amp for the rear 4" components died and I haven't even bothered with fixing or replacing it. IMO the system sounds just as good (if not better) without the rear fill.
I usually just keep the stock speakers in the back and run them off the deck. They're not really needed, but will enhance your soundstage and add some spaciousness if set correctly.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I never bothered with rear speakers in our Regular Cab, Now its only a set of small but really good speakers in the dash and two 8" subs sprinkled with some DSP magic. Sounds Amazing for what it is.
That's pretty much what my system will be, too. I've got an '89 regular cab. I have 4x6s in the rear, will be putting 5x7s in the dash. One 8"sub. Running a 50 watt per channel four channel amp running in three channel mode . Definitely want to add DSP and would like to add another amp for the sub and then run the four channel bridged to two channels for the fronts.