Can't find reverse switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Btowos

Reaction score
So I got a 91 chevy truck a while back that had some issues. Got almost all of em fixed but recently noticed my reverse lights aren't working. Every other light works, so I figured its the switch but I can't find it. I've looked online and checked YouTube and looked on the forums but I cannot find the reverse switch or neutral safety switch on the steering column. The truck body had a manual with a V6 but it now has a 700R4 and a V8. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20240302_132235.jpg
    20240302_132235.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240302_132522.jpg
    20240302_132522.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240302_132541.jpg
    20240302_132541.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 4

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like when someone converted it from manual to automatic, they obviously installed the automatic steering column but might have left the park/neutral switch out of the picture. On a manual, there's a clutch safety switch that performs the similar function as park/neutral (won't let the starter engage unless you have the clutch depressed) so that is likely jumpered so your truck will start.

You'll see the slot for the park/neutral switch on top of the steering column tube. The wiring and associated colors may not match for clutch safety vs. park/neutral safety so you may need to improvise - can't recall for sure on that but the factory service manual wiring diagrams can help there. You'll find those manuals available for free download in the "Engines" section. On a manual, the reverse switch is actually on the transmission, not on the column, so you may need to locate the wire colors under the dash and splice on an appropriate connector for the column-based switch.

Richard

Btowos

Reaction score
Thanks. I've lowered the column and looked all over it but can't find that thing. Could it be all the way down and underneath the insulation?

Btowos

Reaction score
Sorry, just seen the other reply. I'll try n download that manual and get back to tryin to figure it out. The wiring is kinda crazy under the dash. Thanks a lot and wish me luck!