Speaker wire help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys I want to put 6X9 speakers where my 4X6 speakers are but I’m wanting to use the correct speaker wire so below I’m going to add pics let me know if it’s going to work or should I use stock wires now I have some cheap rca cables I want to route these correct?
Thanks! GMC

You must be registered for see images attach

Ten feet should be enough right guys?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I doubt 10 feet will be enough, and I'm sure RF is overcharging for that stuff like crazy.

Personally I use MonoPrice copper speaker wire for just about everything. Hard to find cheaper/better. They have several different styles/gauges/lengths.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2747

Side note, but personally I would not put 6x9s in the rear for many reasons. It's going to put too much sound behind you, you want the bulk of the sound to come from in front of you. Second reason, it's going to look fugly. Definitely not something I'd do in one of my trucks.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shop that is going to install my 6X9 speakers has speaker wire I will probably go with there stuff and I know I a lot of people say just to install front speakers but my truck is a 1993 Ext/Cab and I’m a older fart I like back speakers as well as front ones which I have covered already I’m also going to have them pushed by a amp my head unit is a Alpine and I have my bass covered as well.

Now I have a 12” sub with a non ported box but is a ported box better????

My bass box and speaker sits in the middle of the back seat so I can hear the bass good.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My point wasn't to disregard the rear speakers, I prefer having them as well. Was just saying that if I were you I'd get the correct size (4x6) and install them properly under the factory trim. 4x6s are more than plenty for rear fill and won't look out of place like the 6x9s will. You really don't need an amp on the rear speakers either. The head unit will drive them just fine.

As far as sealed sub boxes vs ported, that all depends on your definition of better. Ported boxes are tuned to a specific frequency to give a volume boost throughout a range, therefore they're usually louder. There's a lot of math and planning involved to get that to turn out properly, though. You can't just slap a tube in there and call it good. Sealed boxes have a very flat frequency response curve and therefore are usually more desirable to people who prefer sound quality over volume. There are exceptions to both of these circumstances but that's the quick and dirty explanation.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
As far as the speaker wire is concerned, you don't really need to run new speaker wire; maybe add some extension wire depending on where you want to put the 6x9's. But if an audio shop is handling that then that is their problem. If you buy some don't get the bottom of the barrel because a lot of times they cheap you on the gauge size.

I would have to agree with going with 4x6's for the rear and putting them in the stock location or getting creative. I redneck engineering them into the little cubby holes below the armrest in the back.

What are you asking about the RCA's exactly? 10 Feet is pretty short unless you're not going far with them. I have 10 footers but they go from the radio to under the passenger seat. Also some radioshack style RCA's will work just as good. Rockford is probably overpricing them for sure.

Subs, depends on your listening tastes. Sealed is usually a "tighter" bass while ported is more "messy". Sealed is good for rock, country, more vocal or instrumental music. Ported is good for rap/hip hop where the bass is crazy. But as always to each their own. Personally i don't like to leave subs sitting on the back seat, especially if people walking by can easily see it. Stuff got stole like that probably every week at my high school.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys another reason I want 6X9 speakers is this is my second pair of 4X6 rear speakers and I blew them and with these speakers I can change them out when I want and these speakers are real good ones.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/rear6x9.html This is how mine are going to look like and I’m ok with the speaker grills on top of the panels.

Big Mike

Reaction score
Get a head unit, or external Amps, that are equipped with Low Pass & High Pass Filters. These allow you to set crossover points that will save your speakers. I have a 1993 Suburban and for stock speakers it uses 4x6's in the dash. 6.5's in the bottoms of the rear passenger doors and 4x10's in the ceiling just above the rear hatch. Nothing to write home about, right? LOL! I power the 4x6 and 4x10 speakers with the head units amp. The 6.5's are wired through a factory amp and I run an external amplifier for two 12 inch subs in the rear. My head is a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X501. It has both filters, a user-adjustable 13 band EQ, and it also has settings for the speaker sizes you are running. This set-up has worked very well in the 'Burb.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This Houston weather has been messing with my bad back and I had some doctor appointments but I’m thinking today I’m going to the stereo shop I have one Kenwood 200 Watts bridged and three 4 channel old skool Rockford Fosgate amps that I have to choose from to push the 6X9 speakers I might run a amp on the front 4X6 speakers I have bass blockers on them and my HU is a Alpine that has three sets of RCA jacks in the back I’m using one set with a amp to push my 12” amp

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys I finally did it my truck has the 6X9 Cerwin Vega speakers in it now and a four channel JBL amp pushing my back and front speakers and I changed out my HU it’s now has a Alpine CDA 9857 in it this one HU has three sets of RCA jacks to run the rca wires to sound good and boy does it sound good I still have to learn what the stereo does and adjust it better I will take better pics later oh I’m running a old school Fosgate amp pushing a 12” Kicker Sub.