1994 Chevy Silverado k1500 speaker hole mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey there anyone make the 4x6 holes bigger for 6x9? Is it possible to do this or is there not enough room? I’m thinking about doing the dash and rear speakers so I can put 6x9 in both.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey there anyone make the 4x6 holes bigger for 6x9? Is it possible to do this or is there not enough room? I’m thinking about doing the dash and rear speakers so I can put 6x9 in both.
You may be able to get away with hacking the rears, but it won't hide behind the factory trim.
As for the fronts, would be even worse I would imagine.
You would be surprised what a decent set of 4x6 plates with separate tweeter and usually 3" or so driver sound like. I had some Clarion plates back in the day, coupled with 2-12's. It was great, especially in a reg cab.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
6x9 will definitely not fit the dash at all, not without removing the vent ducts and grinding the metal under the windshield back. It could possibly work in the rear if you get some shallow-mount speakers and widen the holes, but you'll probably have to cut the plastic trim as well.

Reaction score
You may be able to get away with hacking the rears, but it won't hide behind the factory trim.
As for the fronts, would be even worse I would imagine.
You would be surprised what a decent set of 4x6 plates with separate tweeter and usually 3" or so driver sound like. I had some Clarion plates back in the day, coupled with 2-12's. It was great, especially in a reg cab.
Thanks, I guess that’s what I’ll do is stick with the 4x6 size, maybe I’ll try and mod the rear though for the 6x9. I’m gonna open it up this weekend and take a look.