1994 GMC K1500 MUFFLER??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm working on a 1994 GMC K1500 4x4 with the 5.7 engine. It's fully optioned out with ALL the heavy duty options fortunately. Eventually, it will get a fresh, warmed over engine with headers and true dual exhaust, but for now I'm just doing some much needed maintenance with a few upgrades here and there, and putting it back on the road. I bought it not running, and needing lots of various things repaired. I've thrown a new timing chain in it, rebuilt the throttle body while doing hi perf mods to it, and added an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. A hipo fuel pump is next, etc., and it's had a complete tune up.

Anyway, I was working under it this evening, and was wondering about adding a free-er flowing, more agressive sounding muffler for now. The single unit that is on it is a monster. It's a great big round unit, but here's the odd part--> it's got 2 3/4" inlet and outlets. No typo; 2-3/4 inches. I've been doing this stuff for a long time, but I've never run into that size before.

Does anyone make performance mufflers in that size??

Thanks,
Vettepilot

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
A 3" OD pipe will slide over the 2-3/4" factory exhaust. The 20" case Dynomax Ultraflow makes a great muffler for a DD. If you want more noise, just use the 14" case unit. I had a 1995 Sierra that had headers, no cat, Y'd into a single 3" muffler with a 14" case Ultraflow. Sounded great, but was a little loud on the interstate.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I did find some mufflers. How much does the sound change with the factory muffler just by removing the cat?

Vettepilot