Socal LS Swap -Smog legal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
E-Rod is the smog legal connect and cruise kit. The other kits have no useful information for this swap other than saying "not for use on emissions controlled vehicles"

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked up some youtube videos & they dont have the greates reviews on this system

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I might have missed some thing but I think the idea was you could use it as an example to pass smog not that you had to buy

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct, I was just looking up videos for ideas only

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might have missed some thing but I think the idea was you could use it as an example to pass smog not that you had to buy
You have to have that specific PN in order to have the CARB E.O number plate and be able to use it to pass smog. There is nothing to use an example, it includes the smog legal computer, tune, and exhaust system. No other connect and cruise kit comes with that.

The smog referee will have a book with the emissions category of your current vehicle. The donor vehicle will have to be from the same emissions category or better and you will have to have all of the emissions items from that vehicle intact on the swap vehicle. For most LS applications that means you need to put a pressure sensor on your fuel tank and plumb new purge/vent systems as well as get the entire manifold/downpipe/y-pipe system. You will also have to take your vehicle over to the dealership and have them read the ECU to make sure it has the correct OS and that the emissions sections of it are untouched.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
okay I did not know how it worked I thought the op could do his swap and take it to the smog referee show that it meets all requirements and they test it and show a sticker from a vehicle with that engine in it that meets the emissions requirements

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Talk to the smog referee anyway. I have read build threads from a couple of people working on those setups in California and they still had absolute hell trying to get them through the referee process. Those E-Rods are for pre 1968 vehicles in Californias eyes from what I understand talking with people that actually got them up and going in California.

The California smog laws have less to do with clean air and more to do with taking older vehicles off the road thus building revenue for the state. Their laws make zero sense. They act like a 5.3L or 6.0L from a modern truck is going to run dirtier than a 1971 307 2bbl in a car. Anyone with half a brain knows that is a complete and udder crock of you know what. They also have stupid rules like not being able to add converters or EFI to vehicles that did not come with them. If one took say a 1978 Big 10, but a bone stock L05 from a 1987 C10 with the cat on it, it would be illegal without the referee process despite the fact it would run much more cleanly. I put cats on everything I swap here. My 83 G20 ran with a fraction of the emissions it ran stock with TBI and dual high flow cats in the former OE catless dual exhaust system. There was a guy about 10 years ago that managed to get his 85 C20 suburban through a California smog referee with a L98 TPI engine in place of the medium duty 350. Running clean was never the issue with his truck, it was always some little missing part like an air injection tube into the center of the catalysts despite it having newer 3 way cats that did not require it or other such non sense detail like one of his cats was 1" too far down the pipe.

Last edited:

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
okay I did not know how it worked I thought the op could do his swap and take it to the smog referee show that it meets all requirements and they test it and show a sticker from a vehicle with that engine in it that meets the emissions requirements

They can. Base your swap on a specific year and model. Being a truck it will have to be another truck platform. Have everything on your vehicle that the newer ride came with and you should be good. You don't need the exhaust down pipes you can fab your own as long as they conform to the basic design of the vehicle you model after. Cat placement should be pretty damn close. The more info you have for the referee the better. Have all the emissions equipment requirements printed out, tell him the exact make and model you modeled after and make sure you burn clean enough to pass for that vehicle. Any after market stuff should have CARB number and be correct for the modeled vehicle. Have it all out so he doesn't have to dig for it. People make California smog laws out to be confusing and vague but they really are pretty straight forward.

If you have a specific question you should call the Bureau of Automotive Repair and insist they pass your question on to the referee that will be checking you vehicle. I never had an issue with him calling me back. Some of the stuff is a straight up judgement call that only he gets to make so only get his take.

I was a Smog tech in Cali for 15+ years, I had two cars I converted and got the "sticker" on without a lot of fuss. Just do your research and it is easy.