So it begins. pulling the engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
That's who makes the Summit Racing shorty headers. You can change the plugs without removing the headers but you have to get creative. Such as cutting down your plug socket so it is just long enough to get on the plug and allow the 3/8" square drive to turn it without hitting the electrode, or use a 5/8" box wrench, or a combination of plug socket and box wrench. A couple are easier done from below. Yes, it's fun but after a couple beers - no problem!
:cheers:

Maybe these are a different version????? There was no way on god's green earth to get a socket on some of the plugs. No matter how short it may be. Pulling the headers is not that big a deal. Top side is easy the right side is a bit painful though. Might be doing it again.......

kenh

Reaction score
Well, Wishing for a points distributor engine about right now.

I have fuel as I can see the injectors spraying fuel. I have air! LOL The plugs are firing and the timing is confirmed although it is a bit retarded. The engine tries to fire but won't quite catch.

Had to replace the oil pressure sensor. All other parts are original prior to the engine rebuild.

As I understand it, if there is no oil pressure there is no fuel delivery. So the new oil pressure sender must be OK???

Should I unplug the ESC wire so I have zero degrees timing? I thought the engine had to be up to or close to operating temp to do the and be accurate?

I think I will go through my valve settings again just to be sure.... Don't look forward to that. It's a b-witch to turn the engine over by hand in the truck!

Ken

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was no way on god's green earth to get a socket on some of the plugs
Yeah, mine too, that's why I said use a 5/8" box, LOL.

It's a b-witch to turn the engine over by hand in the truck
You can put a socket on the alternator and one on the tensioner pulley to keep the belt tight enough, then turn the engine over.

kenh

Reaction score
OK, so I bit the bullet and reset all the valves. Found TDC on #1, then loosened all the adjusting nuts one full turn. Adjusted #1 and went back the one turn. GOOD!! From there everything kind of went to SH....well not good! HAHAHA I rolled the engine 1/4 turn between adjustments which brought up next cylinder in the firing order for adjustment. After the success of #1 my adjustments were all over the place. I must have been on drugs or something when I did my initial adjustments. Some were still a turn tight and some were jingley loose like two turns loose! I was off one tooth on the distributor but that would not prevent the engine from running.

May be old news to some here but I discovered you can make a spark by turning the distributor by rotating the base with the key on! Kind of worked to set my initial timing along with a little luck. I was only 2 degrees off after it was running. Which the thing started right up and ran pretty good after it cleared the flooded plugs.

Ken

PS. from the bottom side I was able to turn the engine over fairly easy. A deep 5/8" half drive on a breaker bar did the job. Just a PITA to get up and down eight times.

kenh

Reaction score
I was/am a little behind on posting. The engine has been up and running since my last post. Ran a little ragged at first but seems to be fine now. I have a check engine light but it's acting like an EGR code. Haven't pulled the code yet.

Fuel mileage seems to have gone up. Three trips to work and it seems to be sipping fuel. WAY better than before!! Taking a short trip this weekend so will get a better idea!

The new oil pressure sensor is showing a lower pressure than the old one. So much so the check gauges light will sometimes flash on at idle. Although that seems to be improving. Maybe the spring is settling in or something??????

I made one trip to work on some cheap oil then dropped it and put the good stuff in. I just wanted to flush out any of the crap I may have loosened up when it was apart.

As for any HP increase from my el-cheapo port job, all I can say is who knows. My butt dyno can't tell any difference. hahahahaha If the fuel mileage increases like i'm thinking it will then there has to be some HP increase???? Or maybe it is just running cleaner?????

Ken