So it begins. pulling the engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I rediscovered how much I hate a GM starter and removing the "S" wire. It's even worse on this truck with all the heat shields in place.

Today I started pulling the engine out of my 90 C1500. It's a 5.7 that has the heads leaking and the intake is also leaking. In addition the rear main crank seal is pouring out oil. If it were one or the other I would have left the engine in place.

I hate GM starters and the damn "S" terminal.

Having "trouble" with the bolts the PO used on the shorty headers to fasten the headers to the "Y" pipe. It's hard to get a wrench on the top side to hold the head of the bolt. He also deemed it necessary to use lock nuts, making it doubly difficult. I will be tak welding some nuts on the top side of the header flanges while they are out. That will fix that issue!

As much as I do not like Fords at least Ford doesn't have that damn "S" terminal on their starters.

Getting all the wiring and connections removed was a piece of cake. Not really much to take off. I do need to rent a power steering pump pulley remover. Kind of a dumb design IMO.

Spent more time getting that damn wire of the "S" terminal on the starter than any other thing.

Been a long time but was able to pull the hood all by myself. Did it on my 66 GTO all the time. But then that engine came out in 45 minutes.

Oh, by the way did I mention how much I hate that FRICKING "S" terminal on GM starters????

Ken

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do need to rent a power steering pump pulley remover.
I don't know if your 90's accessory brackets are different than my 88's but I was able to unbolt the pump, leave the hoses connected, and set it to the side out of the way.

You must be registered for see images attach

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I totally hate that wire as well but for safety sake I think it's a good idea as it keeps the wire n place so it cant wiggle out of position and possible contact ground or the other terminals which are very close.

But DAMN I replaced this wire with a new acdelco on on my sierra and it didnt have the memory bends in the wire and I couldn't ******* get it on.... I cut that stupid ass part of the terminal off. **** it. LOL.

Al

kenh

Reaction score
I don't know if your 90's accessory brackets are different than my 88's but I was able to unbolt the pump, leave the hoses connected, and set it to the side out of the way.

Mine has one of the bolts right behind the PS pump. Plus its buried a bit into the aluminum casting. The pump can't come off the bracket for the same reason. The bolts are hidden by the casting/pump pulley.

Ken

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add a foot of wire to the S terminal harness. Then you can set the starter on the concrete when installing/removing the S terminal wire.

Alternate: add a wire harness connector and a foot of wire, disconnect the wire at the new connector you installed, instead of at the stud/nut of the solenoid. A one-wire Weatherpack connector would be perfect.

kenh

Reaction score
Add a foot of wire to the S terminal harness. Then you can set the starter on the concrete when installing/removing the S terminal wire.

Alternate: add a wire harness connector and a foot of wire, disconnect the wire at the new connector you installed, instead of at the stud/nut of the solenoid. A one-wire Weatherpack connector would be perfect.

I'm glad I thought of that..... LOL LOL That is a great idea. Easy to do also!! Would it even need to be a weather pak? Probably better to keep the corrosion away.

Ken

kenh

Reaction score
Engine is out, the heads are getting checked for cracks and will be surfaced. #3 cylinder showed signs of water. The head gaskets on both sides were basically blown between the center two cylinders. The intake was leaking at both front corners. Took the pan off and there was a couple chunks of gasket material. NOT from me!!! Very little sludge in the engine! Good to see that. Liferrs all look excellent (damn it) lol as does the cam lobes. As soon as the heads get done it will go back together and be put back in the truck.

Ken

kenh

Reaction score
Well bad news....Although I'm not surprised one head was broke. The source of my water. My machinest has several replacements, used of course. I'm having him refurbish the replacement along with my good old one. It was something I had planned on for the new short block, not this engine. Oh well it is just happening sooner than expected. So I'll be about $500 lighter this time around. Could have been worse!! Hopefully they will get done this week!

Ken

kenh

Reaction score
DAMN!!!! Didn't read the directions because they were on a TINY piece of paper on the wrong side of the package.

Put my new rear main seal in tonight. It's a FelPro (good seal). Installation went smooth as silk. Was throwing the package away and noticed this 2" X2: piece of paper that was on the back side of the cardboard insert in the plastic bag. Seal on one side of the insert and the "instructions" on the other side ... Anyway it said the seal is PTFE (teflon). It is to be installed dry. NO lubrication! F*** Of course I oiled the heck out of it.

I'm going to call FelPro tomorrow and see what they say. I'm 99% sure they will tell me it can't be oiled so I'll ask if it can be removed, the oil removed and then used.

Ken

PS. will post what they tell me for future reference.