So called documented shop service on new truck purchase...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich Jacob

Reaction score
I went to check out a C1500 Silverado (1996) pick up I found on Craigslist with a decent body and excellent interior, only 130,000 miles for $2700. I took it for a test ride and heard the rear end howling anything over 35 mph. The guy clearly was non-mechanical, and said "I think it's just the tires" but when you let off the gas, the sound goes away, so clearly pinion bearing is shot. I tell him it's a job I'd have to do and there has to be more under the truck I still don't know about. He hands me a stack of documented invoices from a local repair shop with a mixed Google review. But I read through it, some 6 years of service and covering the last 60,000 miles of the trucks mileage. Oil changed every 4000, and $1500 thrown at it 2 months ago in February. How can I go wrong? I figured this saves me from crawling under the truck and getting my shirt dirty, these after all are ASE mechanics and he's a regular customer, for 6 years, right? With the rear end a consideration he accepts my $2000 cash offer and I bring home the truck. I order a $65 bearing kit off Amazon, and some wheel bearings (which the kit didn't provide) and had MY friendly shop, rebuilt the rear end. Now it's dead quiet. But when I went there, I finally saw the truck on the lift for the first time. I'm in shock. The alignment he paid $75 for 1500 miles ago couldn't have been done. There was nothing touched on the steering at all, you could see it. the idler arm and pittman arm were both shot, the grease fittings all over it (11 of them) were not touched either. I took several photos and shared it with the previous owners shop and said "If you have LUBE oil and filter on an invoice for $40, and you're called a Auto TRUCK AND RV service center, how the heck can you miss all 11 grease fittings on the LUBE?" The manager replied, "We don't lube grease fittings or check the rear end fluid level, UNLESS YOU SPECIFICALLY ASK US TO." What a moron! What if I was one of those drivers that has no mechanical idea what is under a truck and never ask, those fittings never get grease?
I watched the shop use an air grease gun and struggle to get grease to pass through the fittings. I replaced the u joint, idler arm, pittman arm, took several pictures, the shocks were rusted through, the trans pan gasket was leaking and NEVER serviced, the fuel lines were rusty and the fuel filter looked original. The work that they did to the brakes was in fact done, but the brakes were very spongy and needed to be further bled. I had all the shocks replaced, and the only thing left to do on the thing is get dual exhaust on it and test those catalytic converters for flow. I'd like to share the photos with you guys. You cannot trust any shop to do what they advertise. It's a lame excuse to say lubrication is optional and only per request of the customer. But the invoices weren't in my name, no legal recourse and if I showed up the new owner, they'd certainly just laugh at me. Check out the pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

Rich Jacob

Reaction score
Oh yeah, the oil level was all the way up the dipstick, removed 2 quarts to get to the full line! Professionals? No recommendation in any of his paperwork about trans service, rusted lines, stuck fuel filter, or rusted out shocks. There was a tune up invoice with wires, plugs, filters. Why would they pass on that fuel filter? Would you?

Rich Jacob

Reaction score
Oh, the good news, the truck looks pretty clean and runs decent for 130,000 miles and $2000. The repairs I had done set me back $900, which would have been $400 if I didn't discover all the neglect the shop caused. Now to give the paint a good detail and several coats of wax, it might just buff out, as the saying goes.

The tail gate handle and rods aren't opening both latches, I take it this is a common wear item. I'll get the bushings and see if that improves. I have to go to the dealer anyway to get a fuel line from engine to filter anyway, what's a couple of bushings thrown in on the visit to the parts department to work a tailgate? I also found a nice Leer fiberglass topper, I'll paint to match and install. I like the rear slider window. Some door pins and bushing kit would also get the doors to stop rattling and close better. Still for a 1996, I'm happy with the truck for towing that enclosed trailer. Found a hitch on Craigslist, $50. (requires no service! lol)

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Wow, I hate shops like that! Even if they didn't replace those things, at least tell the customer hey, you might need a new fuel filter, shocks and some steering components soon.

But to not even touch the grease fittings for 6 years is total neglect! Im glad you rescued it from them.

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
Then my wife ask me why I do mechanical work myself. At least I know it gets done! Might take me longer than a regular shop but it gets done right. I only go to shops if I absolutely need to and I stay there watching what they do till they finish.

That's a nice looking truck by the way.

Rich Jacob

Reaction score
After the manager at Malabar Auto spoke defensively and indifferently, I left my number for the owner to call me, which never happened.

With the new front end parts, it really tracks in it's lane nicely now with no play in the steering, and the new shocks really took the tire bounce out. I bought KYB for $32 each, and of course front end parts were MOOG, so it should last what's left of my lifetime. 15 years ago I had a 1988 C1500 with 4.3 and 5 speed. I always compared other trucks to that ride all the time.
When I was younger, climbing under a car or truck was actually fun. Most maintenance I do myself but not rear end work. With just having moved, all my tools are buried in storage. All I expected to do was the rear end, for a few hundred bucks labor and Larry's let me bring in my own parts. I trust his work, and always specify HE does the work, not tech of the month. He also let's me watch and poke around, as I did with my camera. "Malabar Auto" on the other hand, really misled the previous owner for many years. You see some grease stains from earlier grease jobs done to it, but the fact he just paid for an alignment, a tune up, and had no idea the rear end bearings were wiped when he sold me the truck, really makes both of us victims. His brakes all around were replaced, rotors, calipers, pads and shoes, master cylinder and even the brake booster and lines. Seems they shotgun their jobs at random, either you get nothing, or everything. I find when I do brakes, it's never all those parts failing at once. Just as the front end work, the tie rod ends and drag link were fine, the ball joints were good too.

It's now a great truck to share with my son as he learns to drive.

Last edited:

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
My son is only 5 and he said when he grows up he wants my truck. I told him I'll do that if he buys me a corvette lol he agrees. Time will tell. Glad you got your truck all fixed up, these trucks are sturdy and if taken care of they will take care of u

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Holy sheet, the underside looks horrible. I thought my truck was bad because the ever leaking oil cooler covering everything! So many bad shops, it's why I can't ever seem to let anyone do anything to my truck, and when I do, it takes me months of research and agony to hand over my keys.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Post-bomb all the wrongdoings of Malabar Auto that you've documented on every biz-review site that's pertinent.
At least you may be able to prevent others from being victims of those scammers.
They're also giving ASE (which certifications I don't have a lot of faith in anyhow) that their standards are not being held up to by these yokels. That's a smear on their 'rep'. Notify them too.
Malabar Auto's lack of standards is bordering on dangerous. If this is indicative of their work, imagine how many other vehicles they've worked on that are out there with just as poor work, if not worse!
They're not only endangering their own customers, but everyone else that comes near these vehicles in everyday traffic.