Simple rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ Agreed. I'm about to slap a cam and springs in a 200K+ LQ4 before it goes into my red truck. Taking care to make sure I don't look at the cam bearings while doing so.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was over 200k when I did the marine cam and rockers and over 220k when I put the blower in. I'm now sitting at 276k, you'd be a fool to rebuild the motor just because it has 139k on it.

^^^X2
Kinda the same story, but different, ha ha. I have a Mr Goodwrench TBI long block that blew the head gaskets, I don't know how many miles it had but, it didn't burn or leak any oil so I did the top end with intake, heads, cam, etc (no blower). Same cam bearings, and my oil pressure actually went up an average of 10PSI across the board. I have ~20K miles on it so far and no issues but, a lot more fun when I hit the go-fast pedal. If it ain't broke don't f*ck with it.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^ Agreed. I'm about to slap a cam and springs in a 200K+ LQ4 before it goes into my red truck. Taking care to make sure I don't look at the cam bearings while doing so.

You'll be fine. I just tore into a LQ9 with spun main bearing. The camshaft looked pretty good. Seems like the thrust bearing got some damage also, but everything else passed the "fingernail" test. Obviously needs a align (line) boring. It was a junkyard engine.

I'm going to save it for a later project for now as machine shop is pretty expensive as OP has noted.

Nothing wrong with doing a cam swap with engine over 200k. With regular maintenance 200k is not much on these engines.

You must be registered for see images attach

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're keeping the factory intake and fuel system, don't bother with replacing the heads. Have them vatted and magnafluxed because Vortecs love to crack, and often you can't see the cracks without magnafluxing. Want a cheap upgrade on the heads? Use stock LS2/LS6 valvesprings and Comp Cams 787-16 retainers with new, good quality keepers. Put some 1.6:1 rockers on the stock cam and you'll pick up 5-10 hp, or get a slightly hotter cam and go for a retune and more power.

I've often wondered if 1.6 rockers would net some extra HP vs installing a mild tow cam and 1.5 rockers.

In the interest of simplicity and cost, which would you choose?

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know I mentioned this earlier but now that I know which one it is I have to bring it up again. The Airaid is pretty much the worst intake option on the market for these trucks. You give up the low IATs of the sealed factory airbox, but keep all the restrictions from the factory tubing. You'd be better off putting the factory airbox back in or buying a Volant.

df,
Do you think the Volant would result in a few extra hp?

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been doing a little research over the past year on what I want to do with my L31 in my 99' 2 door Tahoe. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, LS swap is too expensive, thought about a HT383e but thats not exactly cheap either. All I use my truck for is to pull a trailer occasionally and I go offroad in it pretty often so honestly all I'm looking for is a little more hp but mainly low end torque. My current setup is L31 with 188k miles on it, full Magnaflow exhaust and high flow cats, Gibson Headers, some MSD ignition parts, Black Bear Tune and stock airbox with a K&N " Had a K&N cold air kit but I don't think it added much power and the filter would get loaded with dust pretty quick so I took it all off"
Came across this cam...
https://paceperformance.com/i-6255412-14097395-hydraulic-roller-camshaft-ht383-crate-ramjet-350.html
Same cam used in a HT383E and Ramjet 350.
Plan is to rebuild another L31 I have in the shop, the cam above, i have an AC Delco updated spider still in the box that will get used, maybe get Black Bear to do a little different tune if needed, and thats about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you guys paying to do LS swap? OP mentioned $6k I just realized. Is that with aftermarket stuff?

I recently bought an 8.1 from a guy that does LS swaps and we started talking about engines. He said he charges $2,500 for labor only. He also happened to have 2 additional engines for sale for like $1800 each 6.0/4L80s, along with a GMT 400 and square body with LS swaps already bolted in. That's still less than $5k, leaving some money for tune. And this guy had a shop with 2 bays and wall full of those fancy toolboxes from truck tool companies, not a shade tree mechanic like myself, LOL. Maybe it's a regional thing?

If you do the work yourself, I can't imagine spending more than the engine itself and tune. Maybe a set of gaskets?. I'm talking complete engine pull outs with wiring/ECU. If I had a $3.5k budget I think I may be able to do it DIY style.

If
you start adding aftermarket cams, heads, etc. stuff starts adding quickly and that's a different story.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
df,
Do you think the Volant would result in a few extra hp?

I'm sure it would, especially against any open box aftermarket solution. Compared to a factory intake with the good K47 high capacity paper filter the gains probably aren't as drastic, but power is power. I've been considering one for the Suburban for years now but it's never made it to the top of the priority list.

The red truck would've had one a long time ago but Volant doesn't make them for the 4.3L V6 unfortunately. I had a K&N FIPK but removed it in favor of the factory intake because it increased my IATs significantly.