Simple rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing your build thread, dude!

I should finally make one for each truck. I've put it off for years partly out of laziness and part because they were both pretty stock. The red truck going from what I can only assume is the world's only V6 4L80E C1500 (surely there's no one else this crazy) to something that isn't incredibly slow might justify it, though.

Awesome. So what are those Lextech spreadsheets? Is there a website? I've read about them, but don't know where to look.

He's a user here, @Lextech. I think he's more active on other forums these days though. He used to provide 0411 PCM swap spreadsheets for all years of these trucks for free but from what I've read lately he's started charging $20 for them. Which is a steal for the price, they're very detailed. He's asked that people not share them without his permission as they're his property and there are differences between years.

A tuner guy said my V6 stock ecu won't run the 4L80e.

Is it a '96+ black box? If so it'll run a 4L80E no problem, just needs a tune. My red '97 is a V6 and Black Bear Performance tuned my factory black box PCM for the 4L80E swap, works great.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I should finally make one for each truck. I've put it off for years partly out of laziness and part because they were both pretty stock. The red truck going from what I can only assume is the world's only V6 4L80E C1500 (surely there's no one else this crazy) to something that isn't incredibly slow might justify it, though.

He's a user here, @Lextech. I think he's more active on other forums these days though. He used to provide 0411 PCM swap spreadsheets for all years of these trucks for free but from what I've read lately he's started charging $20 for them. Which is a steal for the price, they're very detailed. He's asked that people not share them without his permission as they're his property and there are differences between years.

Is it a '96+ black box? If so it'll run a 4L80E no problem, just needs a tune. My red '97 is a V6 and Black Bear Performance tuned my factory black box PCM for the 4L80E swap, works great.

Oh, @Lextech is a username?! I'll try to find him, thanks!

Yes, the V6 is a '99 GMT 800 black box.

I think some 2500 Express Vans came with a 4.3/4l80e, but no trucks that I'm aware of.

Actually, if you look at GM's current Express 2500/3500 offering, they list the newer 4.3 Ecotec as the base engine with a 6L90

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yes, the V6 is a '99 GMT 800 black box.

I think some 2500 Express Vans came with a 4.3/4l80e, but no trucks that I'm aware of.

Actually, if you look at GM's current Express 2500/3500 offering, they list the newer 4.3 Ecotec as the base engine with a 6L90

Yup, no problem!

Oh, if it's a GMT800 black box then there may be something weird I'm not aware of. I assumed we were talking about a GMT400 black box.

And yes some Express vans did get the 4.3L/4L80E combo. According to Justin at Black Bear that was the base tune they used for my truck.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

It's actually just Lextech, I added the @ to tag him. If you click where I typed it a few posts back it should link you to his profile and you can message him from there.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've often wondered if 1.6 rockers would net some extra HP vs installing a mild tow cam and 1.5 rockers.

In the interest of simplicity and cost, which would you choose?
If I have it apart, I always put in the biggest cam my budget will allow. The camshafts themselves are always pretty much the same price, no matter if you're getting a stock-size cam or a race-only cam. Your expense is in what other mods the cam requires. Going to 1.6 rockers can affect pushrod geometry. Since the cams are the same price from mild to wild, I prefer to use 1.5 rockers and a bigger cam so I don't have to worry about drilling out pushrod holes. Just doing 1.6s? Not worth it. The dyno tests I've seen put it around 5-10 hp gain.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been doing a little research over the past year on what I want to do with my L31 in my 99' 2 door Tahoe. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, LS swap is too expensive, thought about a HT383e but thats not exactly cheap either. All I use my truck for is to pull a trailer occasionally and I go offroad in it pretty often so honestly all I'm looking for is a little more hp but mainly low end torque. My current setup is L31 with 188k miles on it, full Magnaflow exhaust and high flow cats, Gibson Headers, some MSD ignition parts, Black Bear Tune and stock airbox with a K&N " Had a K&N cold air kit but I don't think it added much power and the filter would get loaded with dust pretty quick so I took it all off"
Came across this cam...
https://paceperformance.com/i-6255412-14097395-hydraulic-roller-camshaft-ht383-crate-ramjet-350.html
Same cam used in a HT383E and Ramjet 350.
Plan is to rebuild another L31 I have in the shop, the cam above, i have an AC Delco updated spider still in the box that will get used, maybe get Black Bear to do a little different tune if needed, and thats about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm going to do that same cam with 1.6 rockers and a spring upgrade with hardened push rods.