Simple rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I have it apart, I always put in the biggest cam my budget will allow. The camshafts themselves are always pretty much the same price, no matter if you're getting a stock-size cam or a race-only cam. Your expense is in what other mods the cam requires. Going to 1.6 rockers can affect pushrod geometry. Since the cams are the same price from mild to wild, I prefer to use 1.5 rockers and a bigger cam so I don't have to worry about drilling out pushrod holes. Just doing 1.6s? Not worth it. The dyno tests I've seen put it around 5-10 hp gain.

That's kinda' what I was thinking, too.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was over 200k when I did the marine cam and rockers and over 220k when I put the blower in. I'm now sitting at 276k, you'd be a fool to rebuild the motor just because it has 139k on it.

Hate to hijack a thread, but what cam/springs/rockers did u use? Ready to cam and tune my truck but can't get definative answers on what cam setup to use. Btw my truck has 225k , my girls has 350k and we take em cross country, OPs 135k is about a brand new truck lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hate to hijack a thread, but what cam/springs/rockers did u use? Ready to cam and tune my truck but can't get definative answers on what cam setup to use. Btw my truck has 225k , my girls has 350k and we take em cross country, OPs 135k is about a brand new truck lol

I'll PM you.

Bloke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was over 200k when I did the marine cam and rockers and over 220k when I put the blower in. I'm now sitting at 276k, you'd be a fool to rebuild the motor just because it has 139k on it.

This is good to know. That someone still did cam and blower at that mileage.

All other mods that were done will be revisited and possibly upgraded at a later date. Just want to concentrate on cam swap, tune, shifty steering from 10-2, led bulbs for my fog lights that are bright and fit.

blackdeathmessenger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me, I would still do "just" a cam swap at even 239,000 miles. Only reason I didn't go that route with my truck is because of the ring ridge when I first pulled the heads and the fact that the timing chain skipped a few teeth