Show us some job carnage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ I don't know why, but the driver's side tail light sitting there mostly intact while the bed side in front of it has melted away really made me laugh. :)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
They use magnesium in those? In what parts?

I've seen several of the newer aluminum Fords all burnt up at the impound lots. Yeah, they tend to kinda disappear once the fire takes hold.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
Must be the type of alloy they use on the body panels, when the ladder comes out in better shape than the truck......

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
^ I don't know why, but the driver's side tail light sitting there mostly intact while the bed side in front of it has melted away really made me laugh. :)
Yes when the plastic they use is better at handling heat than the aluminum they use, that's not a good thing.
Guess in dissipating the heat, it just disappeared?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes when the plastic they use is better at handling heat than the aluminum they use, that's not a good thing.
Guess in dissipating the heat, it just disappeared?
Usually when you see a bad burn vehicle, the tires are popped and burnt off the wheels, all plastic parts burnt and gone, etc. This one has whole body panels vaporized yet plastic and rubber nearly untouched. All four tires look like you could still use 'em..

Richard

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don’t know why they didn’t just go straight from the main to the box. The line split where it 90’d down, where the coupling on the right is. It was a mess.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember when the CUCVs were all over craigslist for only a few thousand bucks. Just the parts and labor would cost you that if you had two junkyard axles geared and locked, and they came with a whole truck attached! I was a broke teenager back then so I never actually had the time, money or space for a 2nd car, but I always thought maybe someday...

Well those days have come and gone. You hardly see them for sale anymore, at least in non-specialized places, and they aren't so much the deal of the century that they used to be when you do find them. I used to be willing to overlook the lack of comfort features in exchange for a cheap diesel truck that came stock with most of the upgrades I wanted to do to it anyway, but now they aren't cheap so you might as well start with something with a back seat and A/C.

Or they've been engine swapped, painted, gutted and modified into something indistinguishable from any other civilian truck, just with a smog exempt title. :3811797817_8d685371
I remember when they were taking what few Dodges our unit had and giving us the Chevys back in the 80s

DDTurbo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember when they were taking what few Dodges our unit had and giving us the Chevys back in the 80s
When I was in service the motorpool's first vehicle for running around in was a straight 6 with 3 on the tree.
This likely was new when I got out.

Attachments

• barn%20find%20army%20truck.jpg
    barn%20find%20army%20truck.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must be the type of alloy they use on the body panels, when the ladder comes out in better shape than the truck......
Usually when you see a bad burn vehicle, the tires are popped and burnt off the wheels, all plastic parts burnt and gone, etc. This one has whole body panels vaporized yet plastic and rubber nearly untouched. All four tires look like you could still use 'em..
Says a lot about the quality of the aluminum Ford uses.

I don't know how Ford can sell a truck, or a Modular engine. Fookin' things should be crushed as soon as they come off the assembly line. Save the consumer the heartache of owning either one.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Even veterans make mistakes. I can count on one hand how many oil pans I've broken in almost 20 years of car snatchin', but there's always that "unexpected" one.

Parked backed-in to a corner on a parking garage ramp, plus non-locking steering column, I had to load this Infiniti from the front and throw dollies on the rear. Trip to the lot is an extremely bad road that I'm used to and I'm taking it easy, but there's this one stupid sharp drop-off that you can't see because the slab has sunk, creating a ledge. Hitting it about 20mph was enough to send the car's oil pan into the crossbar of the wrecker, resulting in a Beverly-Hillbillies-gone-wrong moment for me.

Can't see the oil pan because it's hidden behind the plastic splash shield, but there's no mistaking what has happened:

The vehicle appears angry with me. Not as angry as I am with myself for this mostly rookie move.

Next step is let everyone know DO NOT START THE ENGINE. Then let the boss know. $5 later at the all night car wash I have my boom scrubbed off and sprayed out so it's not leaking oil down everywhere I go, then.. $500 later.. the car is fixed. PLASTIC OIL PAN. Gotta love it. Or not.

Went back on the same route the next night with a truck on the hook. Volume up - at only 20mph, note the horrible road, and the big dip/bump right about the 0:30 mark. And the big oil slick down the middle of the road immediately ahead of it..
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Richard

Last edited: