Nick-otine's Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you do the rebuild the nv4500 weld the retention nut on 5th gear, they have done 3 different upgrades on the shaft and nut, not of them have worked just weld it and be done. Ive installed the new 3 set screw nuts and within a year the trans comes back out and it gets welded. Research it, and do It.

Nick-otine

Reaction score
What did the frame shop do to mess up the tranny?

sent from my outdated S3

I'm not entirely sure how they accomplished this, but after I got the truck back the shifter had a ridiculous more amount of slop in it than before. (Shifter springs??? Idk..) I talked to the shop and of course they claim it's all just coincidental.

I know man.. It's Terrible timing too with finals coming up and all. But stuff happens, and it'll all work out.. for the best. :deal:

When you do the rebuild the nv4500 weld the retention nut on 5th gear, they have done 3 different upgrades on the shaft and nut, not of them have worked just weld it and be done. Ive installed the new 3 set screw nuts and within a year the trans comes back out and it gets welded. Research it, and do It.

I've thought about doing this. But I've heard that the heat can weaken the main shaft.
Also Isn't the 5th gear problem only with dodges and/or diesels?

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure how they accomplished this, but after I got the truck back the shifter had a ridiculous more amount of slop in it than before. (Shifter springs??? Idk..) I talked to the shop and of course they claim it's all just coincidental.

I know man.. It's Terrible timing too with finals coming up and all. But stuff happens, and it'll all work out.. for the best. :deal:

I've thought about doing this. But I've heard that the heat can weaken the main shaft.
Also Isn't the 5th gear problem only with dodges and/or diesels?

You wont be doing a solid weld around the nut I hope, all you need is a good tack weld. The 5th gear issue is with all of the nv4500 trannys, It is more of an issue with people lugging the trans in 5th gear, I wouldnt take the chance of having any back off issue with the nut and just weld it, your deal your choice

Nick-otine

Reaction score
You wont be doing a solid weld around the nut I hope, all you need is a good tack weld. The 5th gear issue is with all of the nv4500 trannys, It is more of an issue with people lugging the trans in 5th gear, I wouldnt take the chance of having any back off issue with the nut and just weld it, your deal your choice

Good info man, and Thanks for the advice.

Nick-otine

Reaction score
Huge update!!

Last week I got around to the NV4500 rebuild and swap.
My plan was to make a rebuild thread, however I kept forgetting to take pictures but I did get a service manual with tons of information on these transmissions. So if anybody is interested in a copy, pm me and we'll discuss. :deal: There are also a couple rebuild threads over on a dodge and/or cummins forum.

Anyway back to business,

Teardown was fairly self-explanatory, just took a bit of creativity with tools.
While I had everything apart, it got a decent cleaning with brake clean and lots of rags.

The rebuild went actually pretty smooth for the most part. I just took my sweet time during the entire process and stayed as organized as I could. Most difficult part was dealing with the springs and tabs for the synchros.

Pics (some didn't come out too well):

Tag on PTO cover:
You must be registered for see images attach

Shift cover somewhat clean (neutral position):

4wd Extension Housing Removed:

Pulling 5th gear on Mainshaft:

Random parts and Organizational method:

Modified puller:

Mainshaft and Countershaft pre-rebuild:

Pretty much empty case pre-clean:

Bare Mainshaft:

All three shafts, cleaned and rebuilt:

Somewhat clean case:

Checking Countershaft endplay:

And because I told him I would post this, Jeremy (1998regcab) guessed the exact endplay.

Installing Mainshaft:

Mainshaft installed:

New pivot ball and shifter stub boot vs. old:

Tapping stripped Transmission to Bellhousing bolt holes:

Shift cover and Ext. Housing Installed, ready for swap. Also, I ran out of Black RTV so red had to do. :lol:

As for the infamous 5th gear nut.. I ended up using red loctite and impacting that sob as much as it would go. If this fails, I am not apposed to trying another method.

Then out came the 3500. During this time, I decided to give the transfer case a much needed cleaning, with a wire wheel and brake clean. Replace the u-joint at the rear axle. Half ass clean the drivetrain tunnel. Inspect the pressure plate, oh and hallow out my clogged catalytic converter. No pics sorry.

Fluids used, yes plural..:

Installing bellhousing:

INSTALLED NV4500!!! (before t-case and driveshaft):

Swap went better than I thought it would... Besides dropping the transmission a couple times.. hint the mixed fluid... haha

Couple modifications:

First I had to cut a bit of the floor for the shifter stub. I used wire ***** to cut back an inch or so, and lineman pliers to bend it back into place. Not pretty but It is covered by carpet and interior boot.

Also, the 4500 is apparently deeper than the 3500. I had to extend the down pipe on one side of the exhaust. Oh well I've been contemplating new exhaust anyway.

Overall I'm very pleased with the entire rebuild and swap. The truck is a freakin blast to drive again. There is a bit of gear noise, but it's bearable.
The next couple days I drove the truck ~100ish miles. Worked wonderfully, shifted flawlessly. :driver:
Swap was absolutely worth every minute.