Should I hollow my cat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay guys, It seems that im in a never ending battle to get a nice deep exhaust. Ive tried a few mufflers and and it was always quiet as stock. Now im running it with no muffler and well the volume is better but it sounds to rattly and sputtery. I dont care for it. My question is would it be a good idea to hollow my stock cat and put one of my old mufflers (spintech pro street) back on. I really liked the tone with the spintech but it was just too quiet. Will removing the cat make it insanly loud? Will it throw an engine code? Good or bad idea? thanks guys

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Hollowing out your cat will make it louder but with the muffler on it probably won't be as loud as staights with the cat. I say go for it and throw the spintech back on. I don't think it will throw a code because the TBI trucks dont have a post-cat O2 sesnsor IIRC

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
What year is your truck? Some people change trucks after they have their usernames and what not...

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Then I would just get rid of the cats.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or you can run a high flow cat that will give you the sound and still keep it toned so it isnt raspy or poppy like you are trying to avoid.

I run a THunderbolt cat and love it with my LT's, custom mandrel y pipe, and single 3" piping.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I like that idea also. Most people around here ask for there exhaust to pop a lot. I absolutely hate it. I like deep growly exhaust that are really loopy at an idle. Guess that comes from my dirt racing background.

tsoderstrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have shorty headers, an offroad y-pipe, and then a four foot piece of 3" straight pipe to a thrush muffler and it sounds super aggressive. I wish it was as ballsey and fast as it sounds. LOL

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im runnimg a super flow 40 Flowmaster with a free flowing Magnaflow Cat I had a Magnaflow muffler last week and now I like this set up.

Years back I had my factory Cat with a glasspack one in two out and it sounded good till I put on a free flowing Magnaflow Cat and it got to loud so I put on a Magnaflow muffler and it got a mellow sound that I like till last week when I had a 40 FM put on now she sounds mean..........

Ebay has Magnaflow Cats cheap I bought mine on craigslist in fact I have two extra for when I go with dualsplease don't remove your Cat im hugging a tree right now. LOL