#1 cylinder damage from exhaust valve question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
1998 c1500 5.7L Vortec
So I took my truck to the shop for a fuel issue. It’s just sending a ton of unburnt fuel out of my exhaust.
Mechanic said to put a new ECU/ECM.

Took my truck home and it died right in front of the house.
My exhaust pushrod was bent on Cylinder 1.
Replaced the pushrods, but I was getting really bad misfires on cylinder 1.
Well my #1 spark plug was a little bent on the end (where the wire plugs on) but I also wanted to make sure there was no cylinder damage or cracked heads. (I had just put new heads on a month before this) (fuel issue has been an ongoing issue for the last year and a half)

Well I took the head off and saw some damage on the face of my #1 cylinder where the exhaust valve is positioned.

Valve looks fine still, no damage.
But am concerned about this cylinder.
I’m assuming I had the rocker tightened too tight or it slipped loose when I did my first valve adjustment and that cause the valve to get stuck open and the cylinder smacked into it, causing the pushrod to bend???

But now what do i do, call it good and put it back together? Or will I have an issue with this cylinder.
I’ll post some pics right now
(I am not really a mechanic and am kinda learning on the side)

Attachments

• IMG_5484.jpeg
    IMG_5484.jpeg
    560.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5482.jpeg
    IMG_5482.jpeg
    512 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't see any way that the valve is not bent. If the head is still off, you can tip that port up and pour some alcohol in it. Even if the valve is just bent a little and you can't see it, the alcohol will run out around the valve if it's not seated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can't see any way that the valve is not bent.
I thought for sure it would be damaged in some way

But nothing, still straight, and still sealing completely on the bottom of the head, I am highly confused tbh by all of this and how nothing worse happened

But I will double check and triple check

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the valve, no matter what. If you've weakened it and it breaks, your motor is toast.

The piston is likely just fine. Polish out that mark as best you can without removing more material. The sharp ridges left by the valve will be hot spots in the combustion chamber.

How did your spark plug electrode get bent? How did your valve smack the piston? How did the pushrod get bent? All I can figure is that you had some FOD go through the engine. It got between the piston and spark plug, bending the electrode. Then it got between the piston and valve, bending the pushrod. Then it got between the valve and seat, crashing the valve into the piston.

I'd guess that a lifter stuck, except that doesn't explain the dorked plug. Are you sure the plug was gapped correctly before installation? Maybe it was already closed up and then a lifter stuck?

Reaction score
Replace the valve, no matter what. If you've weakened it and it breaks, your motor is toast.

The piston is likely just fine. Polish out that mark as best you can without removing more material. The sharp ridges left by the valve will be hot spots in the combustion chamber.

How did your spark plug electrode get bent? How did your valve smack the piston? How did the pushrod get bent? All I can figure is that you had some FOD go through the engine. It got between the piston and spark plug, bending the electrode. Then it got between the piston and valve, bending the pushrod. Then it got between the valve and seat, crashing the valve into the piston.

I'd guess that a lifter stuck, except that doesn't explain the dorked plug. Are you sure the plug was gapped correctly before installation? Maybe it was already closed up and then a lifter stuck?
I’ll replace that valve then, and it’s the terminal that was bent on the spark plug.
Actually some additional information.
I put new heads on, did my valve adjustment, it was running decently, timing was good, and no misfires.
Well it still had the fuel issue that it’s been having before the heads, so I took it to the shop to get it diagnosed and when I was leaving the shop it died. Got it started, then it died in front of my house as soon as I let loose of the gas.
That’s when I took it apart and found the bent pushrod because when it died it was making a thump under the cover.

The guy at the shop said he had to put it back together and I’d be good to go.. so idk how far he tore it down
I wonder if the terminal side of the plug got bent then?
Because it was fine when I put them back in previously

And the guy at the shop didn’t charge me, no paper trails. I have taken my truck in to him before and he said he won’t charge me because he knows how much I been putting into my truck heh

Last edited:
Reaction score
I w
I can't see any way that the valve is not bent. If the head is still off, you can tip that port up and pour some alcohol in it. Even if the valve is just bent a little and you can't see it, the alcohol will run out around the valve if it's not seated.
ill do this test and and see what happens, thanks for the advice!