Build a junkyard tool bag- suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Build a junkyard tool bag with me; so far this is what i keep in it. Any suggestions

•1/4 & 3/8 drive ratchet
•3 & 6 inch extension for both
•1/4 drive impact bits of
Torx / star, allen, flat/philips, nut driver standard & metric
•deep socket 1/4-3/4, 5-18mm
•flat & philips screwdriver
•long prybar
•plastic trim remover
6” 1/4 drive bit extension for impact
•d ykes
•rabbit ears

Ive never needed channel locks / crescents; but i do need to do some end wrenches i gues

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a typical junkin loadout for me:

You must be registered for see images attach

RIP black nut driver. It was the worst nut driver I have ever used and it died in the heat of battle out in the yard.

The wrench roll and foldy organizer stay in the truck full time, loose tools are borrowed from the shop. I pack it like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

The steering wheel removal set can be removed, giving me half the space for power tools.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @termite mentioned, here's my video. I need to do a follow up, because I added a door panel clip, and I now have a second box with heavy tools in case I need a bumper or something larger. The second box can stay in the car until I spot something big I want.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I take that type of stuff, plus a long Phillips screwdriver for sunvisors and other hard to reach trim bits. And a small straight blade screwdriver for popping wiring connectors apart. Metric and standard nut drivers, combo wrenches 10mm-15mm, and a prybar and a set of plastic bars that are for removing trim panels like on the doors.
I have my big plastic tool box I got last year with a bunch of old Craftsman sockets in the rear floorboard of Rawhide, and my ammo box with tools in it, on the floor next to it. Cordless drill and impact wrench are behind the seat, long pry bars, sledge hammers and such are under the seat. How much comes in the yard with me, depends on what I'm going in to get. With the door repairs I was doing last month, I could take what I needed in a 5 gallon bucket.
Also I try to bring a few bottles of cold water; even if it's in the 70s you will get thirsty walking around. And a couple of old hand towels or bandanas for wiping face and glasses....

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ratcheting screw driver set
Small and medium pry bar
Ratchet wrenches (SAE and metric)
One stout Phillips screw driver for prying
1/4” socket set
3/8” deep well sockets (SAE and metric)
Swivels, extensions, flex head ratchets for 1/2” and 3/8”
1/2” deep well sockets (SAE and metric)
Milwaukee impact
Pick tools
Pliers
Side cutters
Snap ring pliers
Extendable magnet
Gloves
Mechanics wire
Panel clip tools
Vice grips
Ball peen hammer
Torx bit for seat belt bolts
LED flashlight with magnetic base
Pocket screw driver
Bag to store hardware or small items

Probably missing some. All this gets packed in a HF rolling tool box. I can easily lift it into my bed. This setup is overkill but I’ve never had to leave anything behind.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Ratcheting screw driver set
Small and medium pry bar
Ratchet wrenches (SAE and metric)
One stout Phillips screw driver for prying
1/4” socket set
3/8” deep well sockets (SAE and metric)
Swivels, extensions, flex head ratchets for 1/2” and 3/8”
1/2” deep well sockets (SAE and metric)
Milwaukee impact
Pick tools
Pliers
Side cutters
Snap ring pliers
Extendable magnet
Gloves
Mechanics wire
Panel clip tools
Vice grips
Ball peen hammer
Torx bit for seat belt bolts
LED flashlight with magnetic base
Pocket screw driver
Bag to store hardware or small items

Probably missing some. All this gets packed in a HF rolling tool box. I can easily lift it into my bed. This setup is overkill but I’ve never had to leave anything behind.
Torx bit set is definitely a necessity on these trucks. Not just for seat belts but the medium size ones for the tailgate hardware. That's what I needed a T40 for the other day.... Magnet on a stick is a "gotta have" too.