The Broken Tools Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I use the Cal Custom ones from Summit Racing. they have a stainless steel cap that extends around the seat so they are pretty well sealed and inexpensive as well.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I use the Cal Custom ones from Summit Racing. they have a stainless steel cap that extends around the seat so they are pretty well sealed and inexpensive as well.
That's the design of the Mopar ones that are worse than worthless. The cap goes around the edge of the seat. It can't contact the seat itself as that would be an issue with proper torquing, IMO. But the failure is multi-faceted - they fail because often a tool will not properly fit the lug nut (there's always some slop) so the cap gets rounded or crushed.. and in salt areas, no matter how well you think it's sealed, salt will get in there and corrode the lug nut underneath.

Here's a modern Mopar OEM lug nut:
You must be registered for see images attach

And here's the Gorilla equivalent style, solid, no cap, compared to the OEM style (pic lifted from Challengertalk forums)

You could use this same style on GM's or Fords, too...Gorilla got you covered.

If you have nice wheels you're trying to hang onto, they make the uniquely-keyed ones in this same style that have the stock appearance, also available in "the System" where it's a whole box of locks to replace every lug. No locks 100% theft proof but these aren't easy to defeat, even with the socket-hammering method. Yeah yeah, the car is dirty:

Richard

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
With the Cal Custom ones the cap goes almost to the threads.

I was going to mention the Gorilla ''The System" but I got busy at work.

I have had them on my Firebird since 1994.

Get a set for too many so you have extras and get a second key ASAP!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Holy Shìt there Skylark! I cant believe how much carnage that some beach caused and what it looks like in the end! WOW.

do you have a dollar amount on how many tools it broke? that's insane.
Nope but between this job and another today we broke a SO 1/2 ratchet, Matco, Mac and SO extensions and the pickle fork adapter for my air hammer.

Between yesterday and today I bought an impact extension and swivel set, a really nice pickle fork set for my air hammer (5 different forks), a kick ass air hammer, a 1/2 to 3/8 impact adapter and an extractor set all off of the Snappy truck. I can't complain because I got all of that for right around $1k and they loaned me that 3/4 ratchet and just handed me the chrome extension that broke.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I should also mention that if I had the liquid assets and a SO franchise became available that I would have to put some serious thought into it. There aren't huge margins, volume is where it's at. My SO guy lives comfortably, has 2 trucks and is the #10 SO dealer in the world. Yes, the world. Oh, he is also in his late 30's. My Aunt used to run a Matco truck in the past and I wouldn't be interested in a different franchise simply because of the way that the other companies have been doing business.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There aren't huge margins, volume is where it's at.
The margins are likely enormous...offset by a horde of non-paying deadbeats who buy on "Truck credit" and then quit or get fired, move, and don't pay.

Huge-long thread about a guy who took on a Cornwell franchise, and the heartache he endured. on another forum:
www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/advise-from-any-tool-truck-owners-needed.217037/

First, he asks advice on how to get into a tool-truck franchise...then he tells the story of trying to get out of the franchise.

We had a MATCO dealer that drove a pickup pulling a bigass enclosed trailer loaded with his inventory. Seemed like the smart way to do things--if the truck breaks down, you can still tow the trailer with another pickup; you don't have to unload your entire inventory before taking the big van into the dealership for service. OTOH, I saw this guy around town for a couple-three years, and then never again.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My cousin had a Cornwell tool truck for a few years, in west Houston. The main thing he got out of it was learning Spanish so he could communicate better with many of his customers. He'd been a line and fleet mechanic so he understood the job. He finally got his money back out of the unsold tools and truck, but it took a good while. Where he works now, they provide all the tools, and buy new ones as needed for different tasks. It's a municipal fleet so he works on everything from cop cars to fire trucks and generators.