Favorite cheap tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The why are expensive hand tools better than cheap tools thread got me thinking about my favorite cheap (under $20) tools.

1. Paper clips. I use them to back probe wires. I touch them to the grinder and heat the tip when I want to pierce wires. I use them as short jumper wires. I slide them over wires and put tape on them to label wires. Occasionally I even use them to hold papers.

2. Ratchet straps. I'd be dead without these. These are my strong, 3rd 4th and 5th hands and they never have to stop and rest unlike me. I use them for temporary crossmembers, leveling engines on the cherry picker, holding up driveshafts and any place where I need help.

3. Magnetic spark plug socket. I kind of thought that this was a gimmick. I only bought it because I was a few dollars short of free shipping from Summit and I found this for under $10. I love, love, love it! No more screwing around with those stupid rubber inserts that are too darn tight so I rip them out and throw the rubber away. This uses a magnet right above the hex of the spark plug and it just freaking works.

4. Zip lock bags and a sharpie. I have too many things going on at the same time and sometimes it is months before I can get back to a project. I label the bags with what the bolts go to and toss them in the vehicle.

5. Harbor Freight hammers. I suck with a hammer so I just use big ones most of the time. I have a 4lb short handle sledge and a 3ish lb dead blow. I have others but I rarely use them.

6. Harbor Freight hose pliers. I can't believe how good these really are. The intent is to use the curved jaws to wrap around a hose, squeeze and twist the hose off. I bet that they would do a good job of that but I've never used them that way. I do use the for 99% of the time that I would normally use needle nose pliers. I used them for all kinds of pinching clips (fuel lines, heater quick connections, oil coolers), picking up non-magnetic items, pulling on tubes/fuel lines/wire harnesses, hose clamps and so much more.

7. Pencil and paper. This is pretty obvious but taking notes, making plans and drawing schematics are the easy ones. How about making patterns for welding, shimming something up, stopping rattles or taking a piece of paper over a socket or wrench and then shoving the fastener into the paper to keep the fastener in place?

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Zip ties FTW! many sizes and uses. I use them to hold hoses, cables etc. out of the way under the hood and hang stuff like brake calipers when I'm getting the rotors turned and putting in new pads.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Paper clips. I use them to back probe wires. I touch them to the grinder and heat the tip when I want to pierce wires. I use them as short jumper wires. I slide them over wires and put tape on them to label wires. Occasionally I even use them to hold papers.
You need to get some quilting T-pins. Paperclips are a joke next to them. www.amazon.com/SHIJUNHE-Extensions-Blocking-Knitting-Modelling/dp/B0936VFDSR/

I keep the T-pins in my trackside wiring kit - I think I have about $200 total in the kit, and most of that is in the Fluke and two main crimpers.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

4. Zip lock bags and a sharpie. I have too many things going on at the same time and sometimes it is months before I can get back to a project. I label the bags with what the bolts go to and toss them in the vehicle.
Every time I get parts and they come in a zip-loc, the bag goes in the top left drawer of my toolbox. I use 'em all the time.

Sharpies! I have about half a dozen sharpies scattered around the shop.

Same for tape measures - I have them everywhere.

Safety glasses, ear muffs, and leather gloves. Buy 'em in bulk and put them everywhere and you'll use them. Getting metal removed from your eye sucks, and you feel really stupid when the doctor remembers you from the last time she removed metal from your eye. Tinnitus sucks - I'm not even 50 yet and I use closed captioning when watching movies because I miss what they're saying. The gloves are great when you're dealing with sharp metal or grinding wheels. Turn that grinder wrong and you wont be able to close that knuckle all the way for a couple weeks. Gloves have saved me from that many times.

Cheapo pocket flathead screwdrivers. I wish parts stores would give them away as freebies like they used to. I've lost most of mine.

2x4s and 2x6s. Use them to prop up your bed when replacing the fuel pump, keep a door from closing, to back up a part you're drilling, impromptu wheel chocks, soft hammering, etc.

Attachments

• 20200416_133537.resized.jpg
    20200416_133537.resized.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200511_092440.resized.jpg
    20200511_092440.resized.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210330_115950.resized.jpg
    20210330_115950.resized.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 16

Papablunt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hose Clamp Pliers: These things are amazing. Even if I have a perfectly good pair of pliers right in front of me, I'll go out of my way to snatch these from the tool box every time I need to mess with hose clamps. The ability to lock the handle is awesome.

Headlamps: Invaluable 'tool' for working on basically anything. For whatever reason, older guys think these things are gimmicks. It's nice having both hands free with light exactly where you need it.

Plastic Fastener Remover: Makes quick work for removing all those plastic fasteners from trim panels, radiator shrouds, etc. Bonus, you'll be breaking far fewer than if you were using pliers or screwdrivers.