The Broken Tools Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
"Neither a borrower nor lender be" and that includes being someone selling items (especially expensive ones) on payments. You'll always be chasing your money down..

EDIT - holy jeezus; go read that garagejournal thread that Schurkey posted. I knew it was a sketchy business to get into but WOW, just WOW. Worth a read for some valuable insight even for those not interested in going into the business.

Richard

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several things I learned from the experiences of the Cornwell franchisee, and the thread he started.
1. The "Tool Truck Guy" is not really in the business of moving tools. He's a banker. His real business is leading money; and then collecting that money.

2. It's real easy to move the tools. It's hard to collect the money.

3. The Tool Company may not treat you right once you tell them you're done.

I know of three lawsuits against Snap-On, one by the actual franchisees. Snap-On would put a guy in a territory, let him "plow the ground" for a few years. Right about the time he developed enough customers to earn a decent living...Snappy divided his territory giving half of it to some FNG.

The other was a pair of lawsuits, one in New Jersey and the other in Texas, by WIVES of the "Tool Truck Guys". Several wives in each state sued Snap-On for various reasons, involving deception, broken contracts, etc.

www.marksklein.com/wives-of-snap-on-dealers-win-right-to-sue/

But then there's this web-site:

Don't get me wrong. I like their tools, I like my local Snappy rep. Not real thrilled with their business model, though.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well broke a few more recently. My Vingtage Cman V series 1/2" drive, 1/2" socket cracked while torqueing the head bolts, during engine assembly. It was super well used, got that warrantied. Now my USA made Cman set has 1 chinese made socket. Quality was really nice, and it works way better than the worn out old socket so I can't complain.

Then stripped out 2 Lisle Oil Pressure Switch sockets. Both the switch end, and the drive end. 1 of them the 3/8" drive actually turned 1/8 of a turn into the socket. Apparently they are just super soft.

Papablunt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then stripped out 2 Lisle Oil Pressure Switch sockets. Both the switch end, and the drive end. 1 of them the 3/8" drive actually turned 1/8 of a turn into the socket. Apparently they are just super soft.

Damn near did the same on my Burb. For me it wasn't so much the socket quality, but the lack of clearance for the socket between the sensor and manifold which prevents the socket from fitting 100%. I had to hammer my socket on to get my sensor out.

Lisle 13250

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey Erik, your not talking about pullen chainsaws are you?

hahaha something that has stuck in my head since I was a kid... my uncle said, never ever buy a pullen unless you like to keep pulling! because the damn things wont ever run right! I have no idea how true that is but I have never owned a pullen. LMAO.
My Poulan is the best chainsaw I've ever owned.

Granted, it's the only one I ever bought "new", instead of from a garage sale, or a hand-me-down from Father-In-Law.

LOL! You're right where I was two months ago with my John Deere L130! The rebuild kit for a K46 has shot up to $700 and a brand new Husqvarna K57 is $300. I didn't swap the shafts, I cut down the spacers that space the wheels out. Also, you have to do a bit of grinding on the speed lever of the K57 to get full speed out of it.

I don't know how I missed this post.

I bet your K57 is the same as my K57; you got it from eBay and I got it from a surplus store in Nebraska; but I bet it's the same seller and the same transaxle. They've sold-out of those transaxles.

BEWARE--I bet your fan on top of the K57 Transaxle is spinning the WRONG DIRECTION. The fans are color-coded, white fans are intended to spin one way, the black fans spin the other way--at least mine were set-up that way. I forgot to mention in my original transaxle post that along with changing the levers, and reversing the wedge-plate (swash-plate) that I also swapped the fan and pulley and a spacer on that same shaft, from the K46 to the K57.

I wouldn't dare put a temp sensor and oil outlet on the underside of my riding mower. I'd be afraid I'd knock the thing off by driving over rough terrain. But if you aren't driving in and out of ditches, or over uneven ground...yeah, that oughta work.

I buy quality stuff 95+% of the time. The most recent was a snap on 3/8 drive 13mm mid depth socket.
You must be registered for see images attach

15mm 3/8" drive "regular" 6-point socket. Popped like a .22LR when it split. After this split, I got smart enough to use a 15mm 1/2" drive socket.

Head bolts on a '93 Lumina 3.4L DOHC. The bolts are the metric equivalent to 7/16 like a SBC, but they spec a Torque-Angle procedure rather than a pure torque sequence. Pretty sure this popped on removal of the head bolts, 'cause they were REALLY hard to break free. Bolts appeared to have zero lube on the threads or under the heads. Fought EVERY ONE getting them loose--I torque-tested a couple of them and was over 150--160 ft/lbs before they turned. Going back together, I used the service-manual Torque-Angle procedure. When I was all done, I put a torque wrench on them, and found that they were all around 65--70 ft/lbs, just like the 7/16 bolts on a SBC.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bent 2 pitman arm pullers, finally cut into the pitman arm, and cracked it with a hammer where I weakened it to get it off there.

Broke a hammer. Not the wooden handle, but the hammer itself. It was one I found lying in the middle of the road 10 years ago. I use it a lot. Dunno the brand, but the tip broke off. Lol

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Killed a staple gun shooting a dozen staples into softwood. Not sure what the parts I shattered were called, now they're toast. Kind of a shame too, have two other trim guns but neither handles staples.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
No broken tools today. Have broken a couple tekton tools. Warranty is super easy so I'll keep using them. Did find a switch from a ratchet on garage floor. Checked all my ratchets and they're all fine. Dunno where it came from. Was worried it was part that fell off Huckleberry while I was swapping front diff.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
My stihl leaf blower (bg-50) died this afternoon blowing the piles of leaves that came with raking rocks back out of the yard away. Gave it a 10 minute break, managed to get it to fire it back up and it siezed about 30 seconds in.

Always ran the stihl 2-stroke oil in correct ratio. Started sounding loose last spring and I guess the bearings finally gave out.