Seeking small air compressor recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just want a small compressor for light use.... mostly airing up tires. Maybe spraying some degreaser/oil/undercoating or some paint on pieces/parts (no panels).

Tires is the main thing.

I'm looking for something new, not used. I'd like it to be small. I'd get something from HF, but I hear horror stories of how they last 10 minutes and quit, or never work at all.

I'm tired of going to the gas station for air, or hauling out my ancient air brush compressor that someone put an air chuck on. It's mostly only good for airing up a tire to drive to the gas station.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently bought a compressor from HF and haven't had any issues. I did however buy the 2 year warranty because I am still unsure. I also bought a larger one(27 Gallon Fortress). HF's extended warranty is great, you don't need a receipt, and can bring it in for any reason and get a replacement or pay the difference and upgrade. I know a lot of people that just bring whatever item in every 2 years and get a new one(and pay for the new warranty). I don't personally agree with that, but it is possible.

However I'm not sure you can really go wrong with any of the hotdog style compressors. I had one before I moved for about 3 years, left it plugged in year round. It had a leak in the regulator and would kick on about 5 times a day. Still had 0 issues. A friend even used it to spray some paint on a project of his, took forever because it had to build up all the time, but we got through it.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you looking for something that will offer a long service life? If so, stick with with an oil-lubricated unit.

Is noise an issue? The older style reciprocating oiless units are LOUD. Like super LOUD.

The newer "quiet" oiless are not as loud, but I don't think they last a long time. They are diaphragm pumps, very chintzy construction. But for your use, it's probably fine.

I've got a homemade monster 7.5 HP that I only use if I'm spraying. Hardly gets fired. 22 CFM IIRC.

Next I have an older Emglo 2HP 17 gallon. 8 CFM. That one is good for medium duty, up to a die grinder and needle scaler. Pneumatic impact runs great off it.

For tire inflation, nailing and very light use I have a small, hotdog quiet Husky. It's the same as the California Air. 2.5 CFM. I hate that all of the parts are non standard though. Regulator, check valve, pressure switch, etc. is all chicom stuff you can't really replace... threads/fittings are some weird $hit. I consider it a disposable unit.

Probably any of the consumer units are made in the same factory by 8 year olds, regardless of brand.

I think the Makita "big bore" oil-lube compressors look like decent quality units. Otherwise the twin hotdog oil lube units from IR, Hitachi, Rolair, or similar are probably better than HF units. Priced higher also. I'm not sure what your budget is.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Porter Cable set similar to this about 16 years ago. Still have it and use it just for nailing or filling tires out in the house or field.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I bought small compressor at HF with 8 gallon tank with the wheels on it to roll it back out of the way in the garage. I also bought an 11 gallon receiver tank that I can hook up in parallel when needed for the volume. I got family spread out in town and this makes it easy for me to transport the stuff when needed even in my small civic.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ideally, I'd have some older high quality, possibly industrial, oil lubed compressor, but that's the kind of thing I need to find a deal on. I'm tired of waiting to find that deal, on just the right one.... I'd also have to transport it, and make a place for it.

I figure the best thing is to buy something small now, as that will take care of most of my usage.... air for tires and spraying random crap.

I don't really have a budget, as I don't really know what costs what. I know I've seen small HF compressors for about $50, but that may be absolute junk too. On the flip side, It doesn't need to be a once in a lifetime purchase, either.

I guess I don't really want to spend more than a couple of hundred, but I have no idea how that tracks with reality. I'd rather spend less, but as I said.... I don't want garbage that won't last past filling a couple tires.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With any compressor, you're buying a mechanical device that is going to need maintenance at some point. I started a thread a while back about hydrostatic testing the tank. I've had my two smaller compressors apart several times for minor repairs.

If you're not comfortable making repairs, buy the best you can afford.

steveed

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one of the California Air compressors. Have had it a few years and I like it because it is quiet. I use it for airing up tires, blowing parts out, nailer guns and stapler.

I had a small porter cable for about 7yrs but it was very loud and the manifold cracked. Probably could have fixed it but wanted something that could come on while I was in the garage and not drive me crazy.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I bought a Porter Cable set similar to this about 16 years ago. Still have it and use it just for nailing or filling tires out in the house or field.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I have this same compressor, minus those nail guns, and it has done well. I believe it was around $100 at Home depot. Runs a nail gun no problem, and would obviously air up tires. It is fairly loud.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score