Seeking small air compressor recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was gonna say, I've had pretty good performance out of this little IR 20 gallon I bought.. hell.. 10-11 years ago, so I checked current pricing to be sure it's still available and what the pricing was.

GOOD EFFING NIGHT NO WAY I PAID NEARLY $800.. what the hell is going on here :(

Good compressor.. but 10-11 years ago if it was almost $800 I would have got a 50-60 gallon / 5-6 hp instead, which was the going rate for a decent one of that size back then.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I was gonna say, I've had pretty good performance out of this little IR 20 gallon I bought.. hell.. 10-11 years ago, so I checked current pricing to be sure it's still available and what the pricing was.

Good compressor.. but 10-11 years ago if it was almost $800 I would have got a 50-60 gallon / 5-6 hp instead, which was the going rate for a decent one of that size back then.

Richard

That's really much larger than I want any way, although being vertical would help.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have this one in my garage, it works pretty well. However, I don't use heavy use air tools with it outside of an air hammer. I will be using it for painting my truck at some point too.

That's bigger than I had in mind, but it does have a small footprint. I will take a closer look. Thanks.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Richard
Yes, that exactly how I feel about those portable 20-30 gallon compressors. They are as much as a 60 gallon entry model unit. I think they figured out that guys will pay a premium because they only have 120V, and the smaller compressors "will save them space." IIRC that little IR 20 gallon was around $489, not that long ago?

Here's what I always recommend to guys that have the space and 240V: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-6...onary-Electric-Air-Compressor-C603H/314535260

11 CFM can handle just about anything a hobbyist can throw at it to do a full restoration to a vehicle, including light body work such as DA, HVLP/RP paint gun...even very light media blasting.

The 120V units max out at around 6CFM, which is marginal for most real use automotive pneumatic tools.

Sorry, getting sidetracked here...

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
yep i have it in the corner between the man door and main garage door in my garage and I still have 6" or so to spare around the compressor before it interferes with either door.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Find an old belt driven air compressor that needs an engine for cheap and find yourself an old snowmobile 1 cylinder 2 stroke and throw that ***** on there. Your neighbors will know when your using air because youll have 20hp screaming at 6000 rpm to air up your tires or blast tires onto the bead :O

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I've had my 60 gallon so long, I forget what brand it is, but pretty sure it came from Home Depot. It's many years old, and been a good one.

For big ones like that, I prefer belt driven. A little quieter, and my current has lasted a whole lot longer than the direct drive one I had first.

I should mention, I've painted a buttload of vehicles at my house, so air sanders have been used a bunch.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had pretty good performance out of this little IR 20 gallon I bought.. hell.. 10-11 years ago, so I checked current pricing to be sure it's still available and what the pricing was.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200375221_200375221
Yeah, all IRs are expensive! I got this one (5HP twin stage) with the house, I bought all of the POs tools for $5200 cash. I turned it down to 90 - 120 PSI so I wouldn't ruin my nail guns - it'll keep up with die grinders and impact wrenches too. I have an auxiliary tank down near my work tables too. Like I said earlier though, my Porter Cable one has been good to me for years now, the nail guns, not so much, ha ha.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach